Thread: Peer Guardian Blocklist Configuration

Threaded View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Peer Guardian Blocklist Configuration

Hello, I've been using Ipblock (for P2P security) for several years and have been perfectly happy with it. Recently though, its lists have stopped loading and I've been unable to fix it. So I've just installed Peerguardian Linux version 2.2.4 (from the PPA). The installation went perfectly--but when 'on', PGL blocks all internet access (as per the warning at http://handytutorial.com/install-pee...ntu-using-ppa/). I assume this is because of the default blocklists loaded with the installation but have no idea how to select blocklists that will protect P2P without blocking internet access. I hope this post isn't redundant. I've Ixquicked this fairly extensively and searched Ubuntu Forums but to no avail--any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I've had no responses to this post but I've found what I think is the solution (or may be the solutions) to my problem in the FAQs at http://sourceforge.net/p/peerguardian/wiki/pgl-FAQ/.

I've been adding and subtracting blocklists and opening and refreshing links I often use to make sure they still work. Trial and error, hit or miss; I think I've successfully whitelisted my IP address (essential, I guess?) and am, I hope on the way to having resolved this issue. So--I really have no idea how safe I am from P2P snoops (then again, I was never really sure about Ipblock, either) but I guess I'll tentatively mark this thread SOLVED. If anyone with similar issues has any advice, I'd be grateful if you'd contact me off-list--thanks.

Finally, thanks also to bbergstrand, jre-phoenix, and phrostbyte for this impressive free software.
    Last edited by mlnease; February 19th, 2014 at 05:17 AM.
    Dell Optiplex GX760 Intel Core 2 Duo 8400 3.00GHz 4GB RAM Linux User 498777 - Ubuntu User 29378