Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual Boot Retrofit / 12.04 and Win 7 Ultimate

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Dual Boot Retrofit / 12.04 and Win 7 Ultimate

You can install grub to sdb, the Windows drive. Just boot into Ubuntu and install grub2's boot loader to sda.
    #reinstall from working (not liveCD/DVD/USB) system - first find Ubuntu drive (example is drive sdb but use your drive not partitions):
    sudo fdisk -l
    #if it's "/dev/sdb" then just run:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sdb
    #If that returns any errors run:
    sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sdb
    sudo update-grub

Often Windows seems to work more consistently if sda or first drive in BIOS.
    Are all drives SATA or is sdc an older PATA drive? That can also be an issue.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    You can install grub to sdb, the Windows drive. Just boot into Ubuntu and install grub2's boot loader to sda.
    #reinstall from working (not liveCD/DVD/USB) system - first find Ubuntu drive (example is drive sdb but use your drive not partitions):
    sudo fdisk -l
    #if it's "/dev/sdb" then just run:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sdb
    #If that returns any errors run:
    sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sdb
    sudo update-grub

Often Windows seems to work more consistently if sda or first drive in BIOS.
    Are all drives SATA or is sdc an older PATA drive? That can also be an issue.
    All drives are SATA2.

Success!
    I executed the commands you suggested. But since I didn't FOLLOW YOUR DIRECTIONS and directed it to install grub on sdc1 and sdc2 (my Win drive partitions) rather than simply sdc, of course it wouldn't work and warned me that that was a very bad idea. But it turns out that failure was not only deserved, but didn't have any impact.

When I saw your last command line, I realized that I hadn't issued the update-grub command after the new drive was installed. During that update it found the bootable Win7 drive and listed it.

Now both Ubuntu and Win7 boot properly. So I'll copy over all appropriate data to Win 7 and format that old XP drive for Ubuntu to use. Now I get to study how much swap-space to create for Ubuntu to use on that ~250gb drive. Too many years have passed since I did that the last time.

Thanks to the both of you for your help.
    ~Ron

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You almost never install grub to a partition and never to a NTFS partition. NTFS have to have its own size & boot info in the partition boot sector.

Swap depends on RAM size. And if over 4GB of RAM you may not need much swap. If hibernating which is not really recommended if dual booting, you need swap equal to RAM in GiB (not GB) so if RAM is full you have space to copy all of it into swap.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq
    HOWTO: Use swapfile instead of partition and hibernate
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1042946
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I have 8GB of RAM and I've never use hibernate, so the swap area's looking to be small. The last time I set one up from scratch I didn't have a lot of RAM so it was important.

I'm glad Ubuntu was smarter than I was when trying to move grub... need to sharpen my attention to detail a bit when reading instructions. Now, to RTFM on UEFI.

I've been working the heck out of the grub menu back and forth between boot options and it seems to be rock solid.

Thanks again for the quick response.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12