Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I just wiped out my harddrive using dd....HELP!!

Beans

Re: I just wiped out my harddrive using dd....HELP!!

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    What a relief to read that you have backups of everything except some critical DVDs

In this case restoring from the backup is way better than recovering files with PhotoRec.
    I'm leaving the messed up drive alone in the event someone comes up with an idea on how to recover the stuff. Sort of like the idea of those dopes that, after they die, are put into cryogenic capsules in the hope they can be revived in the future and that the cause of their death can be reversed.

Photorec? I used it for 8 hours yesterday. For whatever reason it didn't look at the entire drive. Just the existing allocated partition.
    Last edited by PDA1; February 13th, 2014 at 10:08 PM.

Beans

I'll take a look.

Oh....the command that wrecked everything began with "dd". I noticed there's a program called DDrescue. What a sick joke that one was!

Thanks, folks, for trying to help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Try fsarchiver. It is easy to use and safe. It is in the repo

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...3#post12923983 See post #8 for a brief instruction.

Say, I just looked at the posts about fsarchiver. That seems to be just what I need. In fact it mentioned that the entire archive is checksummed to protect against corruption.

Many thanks for your suggestion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12