Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick video editing app?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: Should

Quote Originally Posted by timsdeepsky View Post
    Ffmpeg is your friend,,and will only take a few minutes to cut a part out of your video....
    Code:
    ffmpeg -ss 00:00:12.00 -i input.foo -acodec copy -vcodec copy -t 120 output.foo
    I open a terminal in the folder the video is in....Then i use this ffmpeg code to cut and copy part of the video....
    The 12 is how many seconds in to start grabbing the video....The 120 is how many seconds in to stop grabbing video....
    Cheers....
    I get this error when I try and do it:

"No command '-ss' found, did you mean:
    Command 'ass' from package 'irpas' (multiverse)
    Command 'ss' from package 'iproute' (main)
    Command 'gss' from package 'libgss-dev' (universe)
    -ss: command not found"

Used my intiative and did sudo apt-get install for irpass, iproute and libgss-dev.
    irpas installed fine, it said iproute was already the newest version and libgss-dev installed fine.

Tried again and still got the same errors saying the packages werent installed. I did close and re-open the terminal. Do I have to re-boot ?

edit: now it does work without those errors, so teh packages must have installedd ok.

But now I get the error "input.video1.avi: No such file or directory", closed down the terminal and re-=opend again in folder, still get same error.
    Last edited by typos1; February 11th, 2014 at 03:10 AM.
    HP EliteBook 745 G2 AMD A10 Pro-7350B/Radon R6 Graphics/15Gb RAM - Desktop Conversion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Quick video editing app?

You do not need
    Code:
    input.video1.avi
    You need
    Code:
    video1.avi
    Let me know how this works....
    Deepsky....I woke up one day feeling a little darker than usual....My inevitable midlife search for meaning....http://timcline.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Doh !

Working now, mostly, although it does do some funny things somethimes:

I can split 1 half hour clip from a 2 hour film and then try and split another from the same film (the unaltered original file) and I ll get an "[ac3 @ 0xe0dc20] frame sync error"

or an

"[avi @ 0x10ee540] Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 1: 8 >= 8
    av_interleaved_write_frame(): Invalid argument" error.

I got round the problem by converting the audio to mp3 for most clips, but there are a couple that I still get the error even after converting the audio to mp3.

Any ideas ?
    HP EliteBook 745 G2 AMD A10 Pro-7350B/Radon R6 Graphics/15Gb RAM - Desktop Conversion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have never seen this error myself....But there does seem to be some info floating around with others having this issue....
    Some places to start....
    https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/1154
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2127620
    http://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/2210
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5...complete-frame
    Good luck....
    Deepsky....I woke up one day feeling a little darker than usual....My inevitable midlife search for meaning....http://timcline.org/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
    Any ideas ?
    1. Get a recent build of ffmpeg.
    2. If it continues to fail then please show your ffmpeg commands and the complete console outputs.

Code:
    wget http://ffmpeg.gusari.org/static/32bit/ffmpeg.static.32bit.$(date +"%F").tar.gz
    tar xzvf ffmpeg.static.32bit.$(date +"%F").tar.gz
    ./ffmpeg -i input ... output
    Notice the ./ before the ffmpeg.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

if you're just looking for cutting and joining support in a GUI, then check out avidemux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Ok, thanks timdeepsky.

I ve never get on with tarballs, they never work for me and dont want to spend ages compiling ffmpeg myself - you have to do 15 odd lines of code for each codec !! Tried several times to install latest ffmpeg tarball, though but I cant get it to install.

I did try Avidemux the other day, dannyboy79, but gave up, tried again today and got it to work !

I would like the latest version of ffmpeg on my pc though, any tips for quickly installing the ffmpeg tarball, FakeOutdoorsman ?

Thanks for everyones help so far !

Beans

I would like the latest version of ffmpeg on my pc though, any tips for quickly installing the ffmpeg tarball, FakeOutdoorsman ?
    You don't need to install it. It's just a binary that you can execute. The commands I provided earlier in this thread should download the latest build and extract the archive. Then you can run it:
    Code:
    ./ffmpeg -i input output
    or use the full path:
    Code:
    /home/typos1/ffmpeg -i input output
    If you want to include it into your PATH (I haven't tested this in a recent Ubuntu):
    Code:
    mkdir ~/bin
    mv ~/ffmpeg ~/bin
    . ~/.profile
    Now the binary will be executed by simply entering "ffmpeg" in your console.
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; February 13th, 2014 at 01:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Lol, I dont believe it, I didnt really notice that code and wasted a long time trying to do it myself !!

I had a long, stressful day !

Once I run it once, its all on my system ? I mean I dont have to run it all again everytime I want to use ffmpeg ? And things (like Winff) that use ffmpeg will be able to use the more up to date version ?

edit: think your edit has answered my questions !

My system is 64bit BTW

Tried the first line and it says "ERROR 404: page not found"
    Last edited by typos1; February 13th, 2014 at 01:47 AM.

Beans

Once I run it once, its all on my system?
    There is no installing. It's just a binary file. You can place it anywhere you want to. To execute (run) it you can either:
    • navigate to the directory containing the ffmpeg binary and run "./ffmpeg -i input output" (notice the ./ before the ffmpeg)
    • use the full path as in "/home/typos1/ffmpeg -i input output"
    • or place the binary somewhere in your PATH

See my previous post for more details on these points.

I mean I dont have to run it all again everytime I want to use ffmpeg ?
    Do you mean downloading and extracting the binary? No, you don't have to do that every time you want to use it.

And things (like Winff) that use ffmpeg will be able to use the more up to date version ?
    It depends. Only if you place the binary in a location in your user's PATH (and if the program uses the user's PATH instead of a "hardcoded" location), and if the program uses the ffmpeg binary and not the ffmpeg libraries. See my last post for more info, and also see Ubuntu Wiki: Persistent Environment Variables for more info.

However, WinFF and other programs may not work with a recent ffmpeg because the command presets are likely outdated.

Tried the first line and it says "ERROR 404: page not found"
    Do you mean the wget command? Try just downloading it with your browser (I provided the link previously too). Or try:

Code:
    wget http://ffmpeg.gusari.org/static/32bit/ffmpeg.static.32bit.$(date -d yesterday +%F).tar.gz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast