Thread: Pulse Audio choice of cards

Beans
    Hidden!

Pulse Audio choice of cards

Is it possible to use one sound card for skype and another for VLC and have the choice remembered so that swtiching between the two apps causes output to go to the desired source?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Pulse Audio choice of cards

Yes, install the PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol) utility and set a device for each app and pulse will remember your choices.

Beans
    Hidden!

Even though I now have it working it is not obvious to me how I set it up.

Skype is using just one device to output but it does not say anything about skype in the output devices of the vol control, and the other devices are also active but they are not outputing the call. I am not clear why one card is chosen over another. I am unclear what I needed to do to make sure that just one of the cards is linked to skype.

Is there a step by step article that would tell me how to set up the sound and prevent it from going to other devices?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyx View Post
    Skype is using just one device to output but it does not say anything about skype in the output devices of the vol control, and the other devices are also active but they are not outputing the call. I am not clear why one card is chosen over another. I am unclear what I needed to do to make sure that just one of the cards is linked to skype.

Is there a step by step article that would tell me how to set up the sound and prevent it from going to other devices?
    Start a call in Skype (call Skype Test Call for example) and it should then appear in the output devices.