Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Synaptic V 'Command line' ie sudo apt-get update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Synaptic V 'Command line' ie sudo apt-get update

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzabin View Post
    opinions and "why"

reason for asking is I've had mixed results using either one......but mostly serious issues updating via synaptic

so thought I would put the question to the "Guru's" here
    "sudo apt-get upgrade" is a little more intelligent at resolving conflicts than just selecting all upgradable packages for installation.

Otherwise, Synaptic just does exactly what Apt-Get does. Use whatever suits you best in the situation. It will be rare to have one tool fail where the other succeeds.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Synaptic, Software Updater and even Software Centre are just different Graphical User Interfaces for the apt-get commands. There is an advantage to using a terminal. It gives a bit more detailed information as to why an update or an install failed. Updating/installing through the terminal can be a useful diagnostic method.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!

I nearly always use synaptic which is the first package I install after full OS installation. so for that it's
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    From then on I use synaptic, but in its preferences have it set to "Apply the changes in a terminal window" so it is easier to follow if there are any problems or warnings during the installation.

Synaptic is in my opinion a great deal easier to use for searching out details and properties of packages, and certainly a lot more flexible than the software-centre, which I can honestly say I have not used, not once, not ever, in the years that it has been available. I started with synaptic in 2005 and have stayed with it ever since.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Once again thanks guys for the replies/answers/suggestions

well one learns something new everyday "set to "Apply the changes in a terminal window" so it is easier to follow"

thanks
    ajgreeny, I did not know of this

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

One major benefit I've found using synaptic, for me it is much easier to find and remove broken packages using the broken package filter.

Beans
    Distro

I have seen one apparent benefit of terminal commands over the software updater. In the past I've seen the "Would you like to perform a partial upgrade?" message. Thanks but no. Exit the updater, launch a terminal run the commands and nothing about partial upgrades, no broken system. I've not seen partial upgrade offers during the past couple cycles but then I seldom use the software updater.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I only use the terminal commands and sometimes use Synaptic to look at the change log, etc. or other detailed information. Although I do use Synaptic to install packages just not get updates.
    But instead of typing all of those command out I just enter ud in terminal and my password.
    After that is finished if there were any packages held back I enter ud2 to get the updated packages and the new ones that come with it.
    If there is anything still held back I just wait until the dependencies are complete or whatever and then the updates comes through.

(Pardon if you've seen this before as I've mentioned it before.)
    I make aliases of ud and ud2 and also ud3 to do a sudo apt-get autoremove like this: Edit the .bashrc file gedit ~/.bashrc and add the blue lines below the other lines.
    Save it and logout and back in and they will then work. Saves on typing all those commands over and over again.

Code:
    # some more ls aliases
    alias ll='ls -alF'
    alias la='ls -A'
    alias l='ls -CF'

# update aliases
    alias ud='sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get clean'
    alias ud2='sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'
    alias ud3='sudo apt-get autoremove'
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.84Ghz. 4.0GB DDR2 RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@Cavsfan, you can use apt-get to view change logs:

Code:
    apt-get changelog gnome-panel
    for instance gets you the gnome-panel changelog.

Code:
    apt-get changelog <packagename>
    will get you the changelog for any package, if it is available.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post

Code:

Code:
    Thanks for that information I didn't know apt-get could do that. I was aware of what apt-cache policy <packagename> does. but not this.
    That's one more thing that I will not need Synaptic for any more. That is one of the main reasons I even used Synaptic other than to look at file dependencies.

Pretty sweet thanks again for that!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post

Code:

Code:
    @cariboo907 What I noticed that was especially cool about that is that you just have to click on the bugs that that version fixes and open it up in a browser.
    I thought I was going to have to search for the bug until I put my mouse over the bug and viola!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast