Re: how can i reduce the swap memory

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have a 4G swap partition which is equal to my RAM. But, I don't do memory-intensive programs. I have had no problems. The rule of thumb, in cases like mine, is use an amount equal to your RAM. The post mentioned above is helpful in explaining different usages (read the Comments).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by bc.haynes View Post
    I have a 4G swap partition which is equal to my RAM. But, I don't do memory-intensive programs. I have had no problems. The rule of thumb, in cases like mine, is use an amount equal to your RAM. The post mentioned above is helpful in explaining different usages (read the Comments).
    This is less important these days. The average RAM on even laptops is towards 8/16GB now.
    Would really don't need much more than 5GB Swap (you probably wont even use that to be honest -- unless you really doing memory intensive work at the moment you suddenly want to hibernate-- rendering etc...)
    Last edited by Gaweph; February 9th, 2014 at 05:54 PM.

Beans

thank you very much

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nick58 View Post
    and what is the lowest setting i can go down to

thank you
    0(zero)
    You can run a system without any swap, if you dare.
    (I have, unwittingly, after reformatting my swap partition and then my main system fstab file listed the wrong UUID entry for the partition swap. It took quite a while for me to notice, lol))
    But if you're meaning the swappiness then this should help explain.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sw...I_change_it.3F
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

I am not sure what your problem is. If you are not short of hard disk space and just prefer Ubuntu to use ram instead of dropping to swap (it will be faster provided that you don't max out your ram) You can set vm.swappiness to a low value like 10. http://askubuntu.com/questions/103915/how-do-i-configure-swappiness

You need the swap partition also for hibernation if you are using a laptop. But if you are not going to hibernate and have a lot of ram then yes, you can do without swap.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

I agree with setting swappiness to 10, and install Swapspace dynamic swap space manager.
    Swap space manager will create swap files in the hard disk (or flash memory) on demand and only as much as the system needs.
    With swappiness set at 10 your system will hardly ever need to use swap anyway.
    It saves a lot of hard disk space not to need a separate swap partition and if you have an SSD or a flash memory stick, disk space is even more at a premium.
    It's easy to use Swapspace, just install it from the Ubuntu Software Center, or synaptic, or apt-get, and it doesn't need any configuring, just install it.
    If you previously had a swap area, you might want to comment out or delete the entry in /etc/fstab, delete the swap area and grow the Ubuntu partition to fill the free space. You won't be able to hibernate instead of shutting down but you can still suspend to ram.
    Link: Swapspace.

I agree that an operating system can still run okay without swap at all if the computer has enough ram, but in my opinion having the option open for the system to use swap if it needs to somehow seems to improve the performance. Also I think that having a bad swap entry in /etc/stab seems to degrade performance. If I could think of a good way to measure the difference performance exactly I would love to run a series of experiments and actually prove it. All I can say for now is it seems to me as if having some swap available improves performance even if the system will probably never use it.