Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denying machines to connect to my server

Beans

Denying machines to connect to my server

Hello,

I would like to deny all connections to my LAN based on some kind of MAC whitelist.

Machines that don`t have their MAC address in a certain list should not be able to connect in any way to my server.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Denying machines to connect to my server

MAC filtering is normally done in the router firmware. What router are you using?
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

In addition, on many systems there's nothing easier than changing the mac address: "ifconfig eth0 hw ether NEWMAC"

Beans

my ubuntu 13.10 is a router. I do not use any other products except two gigabit switches and a wi-fi router, but that only acts as a wi-fi access point

Beans

I know that, but i doubt any of the 4th graders which try to connect to my server know that too.

Beans

Iptables lets you control access via MAC addresses. You write rules that key on the MAC rather than an IP address. Here's an example from that link:
    Code:
    /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -m mac --mac-source 00:0F:EA:91:04:08 -j DROP
    That drops all packets arriving on any interface from the machine with that MAC address.

If you only intend to permit a few machines and block all the others, it's easier to write rules like this:
    Code:
    /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -m mac --mac-source 00:11:22:33:44:55 -j ACCEPT
    /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -m mac --mac-source 00:11:22:33:44:66 -j ACCEPT
    /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -m mac --mac-source 00:11:22:33:44:FF -j ACCEPT
    /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -j DROP
    If this is your first time out with iptables, make sure you're seated at the console when you start writing rules. If you're connected via SSH and make a mistake, you can be locked out of the machine. Been there, done that.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; February 4th, 2014 at 06:12 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thank you! I have been working with iptables before but I did not know about this function. How do i specify the rules to work only on eth1? -o eth1?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It would be -i because you are filtering on the input. The full name would be --in-interface, if you want to go for readability. If you haven't already, take a look through the iptables manual pages and also the one for iptables-extensions. It is the latter which has a mention of --mac-source and checking on the official reference is always helpful.

At least while debugging your set up, you might want to use REJECT instead of DROP. I'd recommend doing that even after the rules are settled.

Beans

REJECT sends a packet back to the blocked machine informing it that access was denied. In cases like the OP's those kinds of notices are simply overhead and DROP is more efficient. I remember a posting by Linux networking guru Alan Cox on the now defunct "server-linux" listserver where he expressed his glee about being able to "drop packets on the floor" that you don't want. This was back when ipchains, the predecessor to iptables, was added to the kernel.

Also while you could add "-i eth1" to your rules, I don't see much point to it. If you are blocking by MAC, it shouldn't matter which interface the machine is connected to, should it?
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; February 5th, 2014 at 02:51 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thank you for your replies but when I try to add the rules I get the following error:

iptables: No chain/target/match by that name

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast