Thread: Sending mail with Postfix

Beans

Question Sending mail with Postfix

I recently set up an e-mail server using Postfix. Most of the initial install/configuration went well. I can receive e-mails at my address and retrieve them over IMAP using Dovecot. My problem is that I can only send e-mails to outside addresses (like someone@gmail.com) if I am logged into the mail server locally. If I try to connect to the server remotely or via a e-mail client (Thunderbird in this case) the server tells me it cannot relay my e-mail.

As I understand it allowing all e-mails to be relayed through my server would be very bad and cause an open relay for spammers. So what I am looking for is a way to

A) Force remote users/clients to login to the e-mail server in order to send emails.

B) Allow e-mails to be sent to any outside domain from anywhere, not just on my local machine/network.

Here is what happens when I am logged into the server and use telnet to connect to Postfix to send a message. Note everything goes well:

Code:
    Trying 127.0.0.1...                                                                                                                                          
    Connected to localhost.localdomain.                                                                                                                          
    Escape character is '^]'.                                                                                                                                    
    220 mydomain.com ESMTP Postfix                                                                                                                            
    ehlo localhost                                                                                                                                               
    250-PIPELINING                                                                                                                                              
    250-SIZE 10240000                                                                                                                                            
    250-VRFY                                                                                                                                                     
    250-ETRN                                                                                                                                                     
    250-STARTTLS                                                                                                                                                 
    250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES                                                                                                                                      
    250-8BITMIME                                                                                                                                                 
    250 DSN                                                                                                                                                      
    mail from: me@localhost                                                                                                                                  
    250 2.1.0 Ok                                                                                                                                                 
    rcpt to: someone@gmail.com                                                                                                                              
    250 2.1.5 Ok                                                                                                                                                 
    data                                                                                                                                                         
    354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
    And here is what happens when I telnet into the mail server from home, relaying e-mail is denied.

Code:
    Connected to myhost.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 myhost.com ESMTP Postfix
    ehlo myremotemachine.com
    250-welovemetal.com
    250-PIPELINING
    250-SIZE 10240000
    250-VRFY
    250-ETRN
    250-STARTTLS
    250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    250-8BITMIME
    250 DSN
    mail from: me@localhost
    250 2.1.0 Ok
    rcpt to: someone@gmail.com
    554 5.7.1 <someone@gmail.com>: Relay access denied

And, finally, here is my Postfix configuration file.

Code:
    myorigin = /etc/mailname
     smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name 
    biff = no
     # appending .domain is the MUA's job.
    append_dot_mydomain = no
     readme_directory = no

# TLS parameters
    smtpd_tls_cert_file=/etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
    smtpd_tls_key_file=/etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
    smtpd_use_tls=yes
    smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtpd_scache
    smtp_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtp_scache

myhostname = myhost.com
    alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
    alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
    myorigin = /etc/mailname
    mydestination = myhost.com, mail.myhost.com, localhost
    relayhost = 
    mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128, 74.121.150.63
    mailbox_command = procmail -a "$EXTENSION"
    mailbox_size_limit = 500000000
    recipient_delimiter = +
    inet_interfaces = all

home_mailbox = Maildir/
    mailbox_command =

At the moment I'm not so worried about encryption and such, I just want to get Postfix to let me login and then forwad my e-mails to outside domains. Thoughts?

Beans

Re: Sending mail with Postfix

I found the issue and it seems to be working okay now. This guide was very helpful: https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/postfix.html

The key part I was missing was the"dovecot-postfix" package which is available in Ubuntu's repositories. Once that was installed and my "smtpd_recipient_restrictions" line in /etc/postfix/main.cf was altered to match the line in the above guide, everything worked on the server-side. I had to tell my e-mail client to use STARTTLS and send a username/password too on the client side. Hope this helps anyone else setting up an e-mail server.