Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Ubuntu 13.10 on a Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus

Beans

Installing Ubuntu 13.10 on a Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus

I recently got Ubuntu 13.10 to work on my Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus ultrabook and wanted to share some tips. I know some have had problems with the Samsung ATIV Book Lite, which is very similar, so I thought I'd share my experience. The following tips assume you have a bootable Ubuntu 13.10 USB stick..

Setting up the BIOS/UEFI firmware - The first problem I ran into was getting the UEFI firmware on my Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus setup correctly. UEFI is the new 64-bit BIOS interface. Initially I got the "All Boot Options Are Tried" message because the Secure Boot and Fastboot options were enabled. Disabled them, insert your USB stick, and then save & reset your BIOS/UEFI firmware.

• Disable Secure Boot
    • Select the CSM OS Option (Compatibility Support Mode)
    • Disable Fastboot (Skips USB Detection when Enabled)
    • Save & Reset

Disabling the FRAMEBUFFER - The second problem I ran into was booting up to a blank screen. Because the BIOS/UEFI firmware is setup in CSM mode (which emulates old fashioned 16-bit BIOS calls) the installer's generic video drivers won't recognize your Intel Haswell ULT Touchscreen Graphics card which ultimately results in booting up to a blank screen. There's an easy way and a hard way to fix this:

• When the GRUB bootloader prompts you to Install Ubuntu, Press F6 (this is the easy way). Pressing F6 will display some options and you want to select the very last option NOMODESET which disables a portion of the RAM [framebuffer] that's built-in to your Intel Haswell graphics card. The active drivers on the bootable USB installer don't know how to utilize this yet.

• Use the GRUB prompt (hard way) if necessary to edit "quiet splash" command which you can simply replace with "nomodeset" before GRUB mounts the Kernel and boots Ubuntu.

Partitioning your SSD Hard Drive - Depending on how you choose to install Ubuntu you might be asked to partition or re-partition your hard drive. Just make sure you follow a "Global Partitioning Table" or GUID Partition Table (GPT format):

• 1st Partition = FAT32 (500MB)

Mount Point: /boot/efi
    Flags: boot

• Additional Partitions = ext4 (115GB)

Mount Point: /
    Flags: (none)

• LAST Partition = linux/swap (4GB)

Mount Point: (none)
    Flags: (none)

Install Ubuntu 13.10 - Install Updates & Third Party Software

Adjust Firmware Setup - This is important because the third party drivers that are installed with Ubuntu will support your Intel Haswell graphics card and UEFI interface. If you try to reboot without adjusting your firmware you will get the "All Boot Options Are Tried" error message again. Don't forget to adjust your firmware:

• Keep Fastboot DISABLED
    • Keep Secure Boot DISABLED
    • Select UEFI OS
    • Save & Reset

Install Boot Repair Tool - There are two scenarios. 1. Your UEFI detects the GRUB bootloader (BEST CASE SCENARIO) or 2. Your UEFI doesn't detect the GRUB bootloader (NEXT BEST CASE SCENARIO). Either scenario is equally possible depending on how your partitioned your hard drive and whether or not your UEFI firmware is looking for a Windows bootloader or a Linux bootloader. Use the Boot Repair Tool to make sure your UEFI looks for the correct bootloader and also that your bootloader (GRUB) is installed in the correct partition. Open a Terminal (Alt+Ctrl+T) and enter the following commands to download and install the Boot Repair tool:

• ~$ sudo add-apt repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update
    • ~$ sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && (boot-repair &)

Reboot & Enjoy Ubuntu 13.10 (Good luck!)

• ~$ sudo shutdown -r now

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu 13.10 on a Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus

Isn't there a command to reboot without using the shutdown command?
    Last edited by icypunkpixie; February 6th, 2014 at 12:59 AM. Reason: "duh" moment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by icypunkpixie View Post
    Isn't there a command to reboot without using the shutdown command?
    Yeah, the command is
    Code:
    reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am sorry, but the second line doesn't sense make to me (a noob). What did you intend to do with it? Why the parentheses?
    Code:
        ~$ sudo add-apt repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update
        ~$ sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && (boot-repair &)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Indeed. I think he meant something like:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair
    (Update is required whenever a PPA repository is added)
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bc.haynes View Post
    I am sorry, but the second line doesn't sense make to me (a noob). What did you intend to do with it? Why the parentheses?
    Code:
        ~$ sudo add-apt repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update
    The above means add a repository to the database and update to see what's in it.
    Code:
        ~$ sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && (boot-repair &)
    This one means get and install boot_repair, then run it in the background and give me my prompt back (does not run the install in the background, just boot_repair).

Beans

Hi i have installed ubuntu and did that my removing windows 8.1 and replacing
    i have done all these instructions and after installation i get the "All boot options are tried". even though i edjust my firmware i still get the same error.
    What do i do?

Beans

Hi everyone, I just successfully installed Ubuntu 14.04 alongside Win 8.1 on this Ativ Book 9 Lite. And the procedure was simpler than the one described, i.e. no problems at all. I think much is due either to the new bios from Samsung or to the latest version of Ubuntu.

Here are the exact step i took, on this machine (version with amd cpu):

in Windows
    :

- i updated everything and the bios, to version P11RBV, using the samsung update utility (it should be accessible via the samsung support center app you will find on your pc).

- I launched disk management and shrinked the main windows partition (in my case it was C) so to create some unallocated space for Ubuntu to install. I left it unallocated, without formatting it.

- I disabled fast start up: go to
    Control Panel --> Power Options --> Choose what the power button does

In here click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable" , Uncheck the option that says "Turn on fast startup". (credit to http://askubuntu.com/questions/22183...uefi-supported)

Then I shut down. I inserted my live pen drive with Ubuntu 14.04 and turned on while pressing f2 to get to the bios.

In the Bios:

- I disabled fastboot

- I changed the boot order and moved the flash usb drive option on top

Just these two steps, i didn't disable secure boot or anything else.

I saved and exit.

Ubuntu installation:

The pc rebooted into the grub menu.

-I picked "try ubuntu". Everything loaded normally so I choosed "install" ubuntu from there.

- Ubuntu did not see any windows partition, so it proposed to erase disk and install. I choosed "something else" (do not remember the exact label, anyway it was the last option)

- I clicked on the unallocated space I previously prepared in Windows and formatted it to ext 4. Mount point:/

I left everything as primary partition.

Once install was finished, I simply restarted and unplugged the flash usb drive.

No need to go back to the bios, it works just fine as is.

Once in Ubuntu remember to install the ati propietary drivers for the ati graphic card.

Hope it helps
    Last edited by enrish; April 21st, 2014 at 03:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Has anybody tried this with 14.04 yet?
    Registered Linux User #429850
    Work in progress: CCNA, LPIC-1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by M!K3_$ View Post
    Has anybody tried this with 14.04 yet?
    I've been using Ubuntu on my ATIV Book 9 Plus (NP940X3G) frm the day I bought it.
    I actually completely removed the Windows (and associated recovery partition) and installed 13.x on it in December.
    I also recently completely reinstalled 14.04 on it and it works very well (HiDPI in Unity is nice).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast