Thread: Chrome and Chromium cause complete system freeze

Beans

Chrome and Chromium cause complete system freeze

I am running 12.04 64bit with the 3.2.0-58-generic kernel on an Asus K56CA laptop. The freezes have been occurring randomly since the laptop was purchased new. Both Chrome and Chromium cause a complete hard freeze with no way to access the command line, even through ssh. It could possibly be related to RAM usage as it does tend to freeze more frequently if there are more tabs. Especially after around 10.

Beans

Re: Chrome and Chromium cause complete system freeze

I had a similar problem but it ended up being one of my extensions added to Chrome that caused all my issues. Sorry I can't remember which one it was. But you could disable them easily and see if that helps.

Beans

The only extension I have added is Adblock Plus 1.7.4. Did you find out which extension it was?

Beans

Exclamation Re: Chrome and Chromium cause complete system freeze

This has been happening to me too, in the last few weeks. I have a 3-headed display running off a single graphics card and the system freezes completely when the following conditions are met:

1. I have several tabs open
    2. Create a new tab and play a video on youtube.com
    3. While the video is playing, I drag the tab out of the window to create a new window with the youtube.com video.

Nothing else ever causes a complete freeze on my system, which is (aside from this issue) complete reliable and runs for months at a time.

I'm running Kubuntu 13.10 with the standard KDE 4.11.3 that came with Kubuntu, Google Chrome Version 32.0.1700.77, and Flash version 12.0.0.44.

I haven't seen complete system freezes like this in years.

Also, in the history of complete system freezes, Flash doesn't have the best reputation, does it? I can't wait until a more open and reliable standard is in place!
    Last edited by Donnie_Cameron; February 8th, 2014 at 11:02 PM.

Beans

In my experience, Chromium has become too unstable. It worked well for years. It's still faster than Firefox, but isn't worth having to reboot computer every 20 minutes. Firefox has never caused a system crash for me as far as I know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

How much ram ? Chromium based browsers can be resource hungry especially if you don't clear the cache and history regularly. Unlike FF you can't automatically clear these items as browser close .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors