Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cloud storage and NSA stuff

Beans

Re: cloud storage and NSA stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Randy_Long View Post
    Am I being a little too paranoind?
    I think so.

I look at it at two levels. At the level of principle I think the spying is wrong and probably even illegal and needs to be stopped. The govt has to be called out if it abuses its power.

At the personal level I don't really care. It is not as if my life is so interesting that anyone would care. When I update my status on facebook there is hardly any response even from my FB friends. I think it is the same with most people. Your life is not so interesting unless you're a criminal or a celebrity. So the best way to avoid attentions is to act normally and blend in with the crowd. The more you try to hide your tracks the more you would draw attentions. People who go online a lot and get hung up about their privacy are like going to the nude beach and afraid of being seen naked. Fact is, most people are not as attractive in the nude as they think of themselves, no one would even notice you.

Of course if you have sensitive and incriminating stuffs don't put it on the cloud or social media (remember the idiots who photographed themselves with the loots after the London riot and posted the pictures on FB?).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Summing up all the privacy opinions succinctly:
    http://xkcd.com/1269/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bashiergui; February 5th, 2014 at 03:58 AM.
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thanks for your input, everyone.

Although we do allow discussions of how political events may affect the open source community, we do not allow discussion of the politics themselves. This thread has now gone there.

Closed.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've removed the post with political content, and have re-opened the thread. If there is any mention of politics in the thread again, it will be closed without any notice.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    NSA employee to boss:

"If you make me look through yet another collection of bad family photos, I'll *scream*."

After working on a project that used "Big Data" techniques, I agree with CharlesA. I perfer to keep my data under my control.

Corporations are mining every bit of info they can get off the Internet. To make it worse, people don't read the terns-of-use/privacy policies when they sign up for some of this stuff. They also igore notifications of changes to the terns-of-use/privacy policies when they get them.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; February 9th, 2014 at 01:45 AM. Reason: typo
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12