Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using an ubuntu machine as a file server on a wireless network

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Using an ubuntu machine as a file server on a wireless network (NOOB)

Quote Originally Posted by keith3 View Post
    I didn't want to just do the server version of ubuntu because I wanted to find out a bit about the OS and learn something new. It won't get that much use, so should be fine running from desktop.
    you would learn more abotu the OS form server version, but desktop version will teach you more about interface.
    I downloaded Zentyal, but that overrides the OS doesn't it? Just turns the net book into a server?
    yup. a server with a GUI interface.

linux is modular. think of it as Lego bricks. you have the base kernel upon which various modules and services run. you can add and remove as much as you want. you can create a version that will work well only on your specific mashcine (which was what apple was doing before and largely still is). so you can have the basic cli server and just add the web interface. or you can add or change a desktop environment (Unity, Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXDE...) or add just a very light windows manager (like for example Icewm, openbox...). don't like the server packages you can remove them.

or you can choose a minimal install iso (net install -- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD) and install base only and then add only modules you want or think you need. here is how that install looks like - how to with pics: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal

I've put a lot of work into trying to get Samba to work so I'd at least like to try it.

Any ideas why I can't run it? Or if I should?
    Samba - it can work perfectly or not at all. i will guess here that windows 7 is the one giving you issues? make sure you are in same work group. you can use samba tree (command smbtree: http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...smbtree.1.html) to see what linux sees on network.

i have 2 Kubuntu's, 1 Openelec (debian based on Pi). wile i can access kubuntu and openelec from windows 7 i can access only kubuntu from windows xp. i've tried many things but can't get it to work (apparently windows xp additionally complicates some netowkr address stuff).

for windows 7 make sure you gave access to folder/disk to other users (you can arrange that with chmod command or in desktop right clicking and then properties) - you may need to open file manager with root access to do that.
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    should do it.
    - make sure folder is shared.
    - make sure propper permissions are set for folder
    - make sure make sure both maschines are in same "workgroup"

it should work then.

samba on desktop should work.

zentyal and similar will help you set sharing via GUI as well. i avoid manualy configuring via config files if at all possible.

edit: just saw you have win xp is that the one giving you issue in samba?

FTP or sFTP (secure ftp) is in my opinion better option for server. you can secure it and then access it from anywhere in the world.
    Last edited by mastablasta; February 4th, 2014 at 12:25 PM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Respect to mastablasta, but much of that last response seems to be based on his difficulty with Linux and love of GUIs, not the facts around samba. He is trying to be helpful, that is certain. I worry that telling you to install a different OS release or install webmin will become a install a, b, c, d, e, .... Z, 1, 2, 3 .... exercise.

Samba works fine for Win8, Win7, WinXP, OSX, and other OSes. It just needs to be properly configured, like all Linux services, by editing configuration files with a normal editor. GUIs get in the way and never support all the settings you may want/need. After modifying settings, most services need to be restarted.
    To restart (or start) the samba service, run sudo restart smbd. Anytime a setting is modified in the /etc/samba/ directory, restarting samba is needed. "smbd" is the name of the service. sudo status smbd will return the current status. sudo stop smbd will do what you expect too. This is NOT just for samba, but for any service on the machine. There are 20-4000 daemons on any Linux system, so having them all behave in a similar way is smart. Also, these commands work for "desktop" or server Linux installs, so there isn't any need to learn the GUI way.

webmin ... ah ... webmin. It is a web-app to control critical services. It dumbs down the settings and makes it possible for a web browser to modify. Scary. IMHO - if you can't figure out how to make a needed setting using the CLI, then it is unlikely you can properly secure the webmin application. Once setup, yes, it is easier for point-n-click admins. The danger happens when the admin doesn't understand what it is doing under the covers. Webmin gets hacked every day around the world because new-admins don't secure it. A few times there were bugs in webmin that allowed crackers in too, but that hardly ever happens. It is a well-regarded tool.

If something isn't working with any daemon, check the log files. It is possible to enable more logging output too, which will help determine the root cause for issues. Linux uses a centralized log system and puts those files in /var/log/ ... often admin-level authority is needed to view the logs - they contain sensitive data.

sftp completely rocks and I use it from all over the world (literally), but almost nobody should be using plain FTP anymore. It is not safe. sftp is include with ssh which is a remote terminal that is secure. If you want most information about that, create a new thread, please. This thread is about samba.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi there keith3.
    I'm trying to get samba to work myself, so I'll be watching this thread.
    Something I discovered: in one of the guides linked you're going to be asked to install smbfs, which won't happen - a replacement will be suggested (cifs I think).
    It may be worth looking at this article:

http://www.unixmen.com/howto-install...are-in-ubuntu/

Which also tells us how to install the funky GUI config tool. (Although I'm trying to do this using the CLI & config files personally).
    I've been at this for about a week, with 3 reinstalls, & still can't get into the folders I want. I can see the blighters from Ubuntu & Win 8.1, but I can't get into 'em. (That's my probem though, I don't want to hijack your thread). It's a good job this is a bit of a project for me & not mission critical

Good luck sir.
    Last edited by verymadpip; February 4th, 2014 at 01:55 PM. Reason: addition

Beans

Are you using 13.04 Ubuntu with Unity?

Open Nautilus > Right click your Public folder ( as an example ) > Select Sharing Options > check all the boxes:
    samba.png

You just created a samba share.

Note: It's too late now but if you didn't have samba installed already this process would have installed the right version for you automatically.

You can create more complicated shares by installing the following package:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install system-config-samba
    But for simple shares creating them in Nautilus may be the only thing you need.

Beans

TheFu - I'm with you 100%.

I have done this:

sudo restart smbd
    smbd start/running, process 2782
    sudo status smbd
    smbd start/running, process 2782
    Not sure what to do next. Do I have to run Samba? Does it just happen? I've done all the config files... I don't know what's next.

I can't see the machine on the windows laptop, but I can see my machine on the Mac - but I can't connect to it.Where to from here?

Edit - Also, Morbius (sp?), I have made that samba share - but what do I do with it? How do I find it and connect? Why isn't it on the network?
    Last edited by keith3; February 4th, 2014 at 01:59 PM.

Beans

I've done all the config files.
    Now you're going to have to show us what you did. Please post the output of the following commands:
    Code:
    testparm -s
    Code:
    net usershare info --long

Beans

Testparm -s

Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
    rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
    Processing section "[homes]"
    Processing section "[printers]"
    Processing section "[print$]"
    Loaded services file OK.
    Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
    [global]
    server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
    map to guest = Bad User
    obey pam restrictions = Yes
    pam password change = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    unix password sync = Yes
    syslog = 0
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    dns proxy = No
    usershare allow guests = Yes
    panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
    idmap config * : backend = tdb

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    valid users = %S

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    create mask = 0700
    printable = Yes
    print ok = Yes
    browseable = No

[print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/printers

net usershare info --long

[Documents]
    path=/home/keith/Desktop/Documents
    comment=
    usershare_acl=Everyone:F,
    guest_ok=y

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sorry -
    sudo restart nmbd
    if it hasn't shown up yet.
    nmbd is the "browsing" service. It announces the share on the LAN.

Then using any network-ready file manager (MS-Explorer too), the shared directories will be visible.

I don't use non-LTS releases and don't usually have nautilus installed, so Morbius1's instructions aren't always an option. OTOH, if you are on that version or later, DEFINITELY follow those instructions.

The shared folder needs to exist and be accessible to the users. File permissions can put a damper on that, especially if the folders shared are in a HOME.
    Last edited by TheFu; February 4th, 2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: added last paragraph.

Beans

Run the following command please and post the output:
    Code:
    smbtree
    Does it show your own Ubuntu host and the documents share?

Beans

@TheFu - "nmbd start/running, process 2586"

Although, that hasn't helped. I still can't connect to it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast