Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Precise 12.04.4 images need testing

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Did You try
    Code:
    radeon.dpm=0
    as kernel-boot switch...?
    No. Not out of the box. It will not work with nomodeset so I'll reinstall a side by side. Where do I edit that in?

Thanks in advance.

Regards..

btw ... using
    Code:
     lshw
    does report that it is using the radeon driver.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    No. Not out of the box. It will not work with nomodeset so I'll reinstall a side by side. Where do I edit that in?
    Thanks in advance.
    Regards..
    In kernel-boot-line in Grub (where You've put „nomodeset“ and where most people find „quiet splash“)...

btw ... using
    Code:
     lshw
    does report that it is using the radeon driver.
    Yes, as it should... I guess, did not look for card You've mentioned. Since it is ATI, I presume, that is OK. I would not suggest any switch for radeon if I did not presume that radeon driver is in use...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    In kernel-boot-line in Grub (where You've put „nomodeset“ and where most people find „quiet splash“)...

Yes, as it should... I guess, did not look for card You've mentioned. Since it is ATI, I presume, that is OK. I would not suggest any switch for radeon if I did not presume that radeon driver is in use...
    Thanks very much. I am going to try it anyways. I'll also take a second look at BIOS settings .

Regards..

Beans

I had assumed that a currently maintained hard install of Precise would be upgraded through terminal using the sudo command process:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    It currently downloads generic-lts-quantal and updates it to that 3.5.x-45 kernel using the above process. The behaviour I had expected was that it would install the 3.11.0-15 kernel during the upgrade over the existing install.

Regards..
    So you apparently installed using 12.04.2 media which shipped with the Quantal Hardware Enablement Stack:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

12.04.3 shipped with the Raring HWE Stack, and 12.04.4 shipped with the Saucy HWE Stack. It's all explained in that link

One warning though, I have NOT found a method for properly downgrading the HWE stacks! All attempts resulted in borkage so I'm just leaving my production machines on the original Precise kernel and X-stack.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    So you apparently installed using 12.04.2 media which shipped with the Quantal Hardware Enablement Stack:

12.04.3 shipped with the Raring HWE Stack, and 12.04.4 shipped with the Saucy HWE Stack. It's all explained in that link

One warning though, I have NOT found a method for properly downgrading the HWE stacks! All attempts resulted in borkage so I'm just leaving my production machines on the original Precise kernel and X-stack.

I disabled Boot on Lan and D2D in BIOS but I think that was not the problem. What I did was a trick we used during Precise dev iso ... Install from Live Unity Session. That set the video driver correctly with the latest iso release 12.04.4 LTS. There is still a problem installing Broadcom wireless drivers using the jockey but I know how to search the fix out for that and install them from terminal. Bottom line .. nothing has changed in Ubiquity, it appears, for touchy machines although not all laptops or desktops behave this way.

Beans

I'd be happy with a method of properly upgrading the HWE stacks. When I try to upgrade my 12.04.2 setup with the following command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-lts-saucy
    I get tons of unmet dependency errors, all of which revolve around the xserver packages. For example (and this is just a snippet):

Code:
     xserver-xorg-lts-saucy : Depends: xserver-xorg-core-lts-saucy (>= 2:1.11) but it is not going to be installed
    When I try to add those packages by adding them to my apt-get install command, I get to the heart of the matter. Namely, those new packages conflict with the quantal packages which are currently installed. For example:

Code:
    libgl1-mesa-dri-lts-raring : Conflicts: xorg-renamed-package-lts-quantal:i386
    Anyone have any insight to this...?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joncochran View Post
    I'd be happy with a method of properly upgrading the HWE stacks. When I try to upgrade my 12.04.2 setup with the following command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-lts-saucy
    I get tons of unmet dependency errors, all of which revolve around the xserver packages. For example (and this is just a snippet):

Code:
     xserver-xorg-lts-saucy : Depends: xserver-xorg-core-lts-saucy (>= 2:1.11) but it is not going to be installed
    When I try to add those packages by adding them to my apt-get install command, I get to the heart of the matter. Namely, those new packages conflict with the quantal packages which are currently installed. For example:

Code:
    libgl1-mesa-dri-lts-raring : Conflicts: xorg-renamed-package-lts-quantal:i386
    Anyone have any insight to this...?
    How many times do I have to post the same link:

You'll find the answer there

'libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-*" packages MUST also be upgraded!

Beans

This thread needs to be closed because 12.04.4 has been released and there will be no new images built.

General discussion of, or questions about Precise should be posted here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=327

And, of course, bugs should be reported on Launchpad.

Beans

How many times do I have to post the same link:

You'll find the answer there

'libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-*" packages MUST also be upgraded!
    Those *also* conflict with the quantal packages when I try to upgrade them. Believe me, I've tried. At one point I got up to:

Code:
     sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-raring xserver-xorg-lts-raring xserver-xorg-core-lts-raring libgl1-mesa-dri-lts-raring libglapi-mesa-lts-raring libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-all-lts-raring
    Which gave me this:

Code:
      libgl1-mesa-dri-lts-raring : Conflicts: xorg-renamed-package-lts-quantal:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-quantal:i386 : Recommends: libgl1-mesa-dri-lts-quantal:i386 (>= 7.2) but it is not going to be installed
    I've got both libgl1-mesa-glx and libgl1-mesa-dri set to be installed, but they still conflict.

FWIW: The command on the wiki also fails with the same conflicts:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-raring xserver-xorg-lts-raring libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-raring

So, the trick was to do this and make sure I got both x86_64 and x86 libraries:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-raring xserver-xorg-lts-raring libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-raring libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-raring:i386
    Last edited by joncochran; February 8th, 2014 at 12:52 AM.

Beans

The first paragraph of the wiki says:

In an effort to support a wider variety of hardware on an existing LTS release, the 12.04.2 and newer point releases will ship with an updated kernel and X stack by default. These newer hardware enablement stacks will be comprised of the newer kernel and X stacks from 12.10 (Quantal), 13.04 (Raring), 13.10 (Saucy), and 14.04 (Trusty). These enablement stacks are only intended for use on x86 hardware at this time. Those running virtual or cloud images should not need these newer enablement stacks and are thus recommended to remain on the original Precise stack. To remain on the original Precise stack there are a few options:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast