Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skype video calls always crashing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Skype video calls always crashing.

Hey guys, I've been having this problem with Skype for MONTHS so other people must have to....Basically, Skype crashes 100% when doing a video-to-video call. Sometimes within 1min sometimes after 3-4min. Audio only calls and if Skype is only active in the background don't make it crash. Apparently in the older version than the current available on Skype.com, many many people had this problem and it was related to a dependency problem in 12.04 and 13.04. I was hoping the most recent update/release would therefore fix it, and it did fix that issue but now Skype is crashing because of a new bug;

"Skype crashed with sigabrt in raise()"

Anyone know wtf is going on with Skype or how to fix this?!? Skype version 4.2.0.13 under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (x64).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Skype video calls always crashing.

Nobody elses Skype is crashing like this?

Beans

I'm having similar issue on 13.10 w/4.2.0.13 Video calls randomly crash... I can be going for 30+ minutes sometimes and then it just dies. I just tried some of the settings suggested in this thread to see whether they help (can't report yet)...

http://community.skype.com/t5/Linux/...ut/td-p/818438

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That is an older thread but let me know if it helps any....Are you getting a similar error or?

Beans

I haven't been recording the crashes or looking at the logs as they occur, but will pay attention next time. It's intermittent for me... I can keep a video call going for a while, but then it will die.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have exactly the same problem with skype crashing and have been trying for the past two weeks to find a solution.
    Sorry I can't help but I thought I would register solidarity with you. I have loaded mint in case it was ubuntu based but it still happens there. I've trawled all over the internet for a cure,
    I have tried every offered solution I can find. I've now set up a google hangouts account (all I have to do now is persuede all my contacts to do likewise)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Seems like there are plenty of us out there with this problem even with the newest released version but still no solution

Mint will most likely have the same problem because it is based on Ubuntu. FYI, I have made a few configuration changes to skype that apparently might be the caused based on my crashlog so I'll report back if it is anymore stable after I give it a whirl again...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thankyou any advice or help would be appreciated...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

FINALLY....seems like I have solved this issue (largely). I was on a 5min video to video call and it crashed with a new error message. Seems like a dependency issue again like in the previous version which was supposedly fixed in this new version but isn't (error: package not installed) BUT I launched it again and for the first time since installing 12.04, I was able to have a normal video to video chat on skype for more than 2-3min....Mine actually lasted 1.5 hours and did not crash

How?

1) install pulseaudio volume control package

2) skype > options > sound devices > set everything to pulseaudio server (local) and then make a test call to make sure your audio is working

3) uncheck "allow skype to automatically adjust my mixer levels"

4) skype > options > video devices > uncheck "disable auto exposure"

Hopefully it works for others as well if they are experiencing the same issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If that (#9) worked for you d4m1r then we have different problems.
    I have tried all your suggested solutions many times over the past few weeks.
    It simply isnt that easy, my solution, when I need to comunicate with my son in Canada has been to convert to Google Hangouts, which actually works.
    It's a bit of a drag doing it that way tho because Google make you jump through hoops and want you to load stuff onto their database (for supposedly commercial reasons) but it works.
    You can have several contacts on one video call which is novel. I will try Skype again later when it's fixed, hangouts will have to suffice in the meantime...maybe I will get to like it even.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast