Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing linux on win 8

Beans

Installing linux on win 8

Hey. So im intrested of installing Ubuntu on my laptop. I have a Acer 5750G with windows 8 installed.
    So ive read much about the problems with UEFI and so on on Windows 8 machines.
    I have found out that my computer doesnt have UEFI, its a bit old for that, i only have regular BIOS.
    So i wonder now, i want to install unbuntu. Is it safe to install through wubi? Or should i format and partition my HDD and install ubuntu on one side, and windows 8 on the other ??
    Would really llike som advice

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Installing linux on win 8

Never use WUBI! It's deprecated and not recommended to use for partitioning.

Boot into Windows and shrink the drive to allocate as much space as you would like for your Ubuntu installation, like 15-20GBs.

Once that is finished, live boot into Ubuntu with a CD or USB, then click "install", and be sure to choose "Something Else" when you get to the partitioning section and choose the space that you allocated for Ubuntu, and be sure that the drop down box asking about installing Grub is pointed to /dev/sda.

Be sure that the installer can see Win 8, if it doesn't give you an option to install alongside Windows, then I would wait and we can take the appropriate steps to heading in the right direction.

Let it finish installing and you should now be able to dual boot your laptop with Win 8!
    "Ignorance is short-lived, and knowledge is forever."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tfrue View Post
    Never use WUBI! It's deprecated and not recommended to use for partitioning.

Boot into Windows and shrink the drive to allocate as much space as you would like for your Ubuntu installation, like 15-20GBs.

Once that is finished, live boot into Ubuntu with a CD or USB, then click "install", and be sure to choose "Something Else" when you get to the partitioning section and choose the space that you allocated for Ubuntu, and be sure that the drop down box asking about installing Grub is pointed to /dev/sda.

Be sure that the installer can see Win 8, if it doesn't give you an option to install alongside Windows, then I would wait and we can take the appropriate steps to heading in the right direction.

Let it finish installing and you should now be able to dual boot your laptop with Win 8!
    Okey . Awesome thanks No WUBI then
    When you say shrink the drive ? Do i need to format my windows 8 then ? Or is it just possible to shink the drive as you say and still keep windows 8 ? In that case it would be awesome

And there should be no problem with UEFI, because i dont have it?
    Yes ;D

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Don't just charge into installing side-by-side with Win8 using the installer. This risks corrupting Win8 and rendering it unbootable. Use only the Win8 Disk Management utility to do any Windows partition resizing.
    Ubuntu 16.10 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In Windows, use the Disk Management utility to partition the drive as that will be the best way to partition a HDD with Windows on it. I think you could type keywords like: partition, shrink, or disk manager as the tile screen and go to the settings tab and you should be able to go to it there.

While in the Disk Management tool, you will specify how much space you want to shrink, to determine how much space you will allocate yourself, and then you can leave it un formatted and un initialized since Ubuntu will do what it does when it comes time to install.

You can keep Windows 8 so you do not have to remove it and Ubuntu will happily live with Windows!

Good luck,
    Chris
    "Ignorance is short-lived, and knowledge is forever."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tfrue View Post
    In Windows, use the Disk Management utility to partition the drive as that will be the best way to partition a HDD with Windows on it. I think you could type keywords like: partition, shrink, or disk manager as the tile screen and go to the settings tab and you should be able to go to it there.

While in the Disk Management tool, you will specify how much space you want to shrink, to determine how much space you will allocate yourself, and then you can leave it un formatted and un initialized since Ubuntu will do what it does when it comes time to install.

You can keep Windows 8 so you do not have to remove it and Ubuntu will happily live with Windows!

Good luck,
    Chris
    Okay I think i understand
    So this way windows wont get partitioned, it only shrink its C: and make another partition E: with the size you give it
    And in that new partition i install ubuntu Yes, hopefully without any trouble.
    What if my computer cant se my windows 8 installation? In case? not expecting it thought
    Yeah, one more thing. I am going to be able to install the latest 13.10 ubuntu? And not the 12.04=
    Last edited by jabbe-duck; February 3rd, 2014 at 05:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

DO NOT create partitions with Windows. It may convert to dynamic partitions from its standard basic partitions. And dynamic does not work with Linux and has no easy undo.
    Linux does not work on any Windows formatted partitions, although you can read & write from NTFS.

If you have not used all 4 primary partitions Ubuntu should just install side by side to Windows in the un-allocated space.
    But do full back ups of Windows and make a repairCD or flash drive for Windows. Some users are picking the wrong install option and that erases the entire drive.
    Backup windows before install - post by Mark Phelps
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...0#post12611710
    http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp
    Another suggestion by srs5694
    http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

Make your own Windows repairCD (not vendor recovery):
    http://forums.techarena.in/guides-tutorials/1114725.htm
    Windows users only - Silverlight
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...em-repair-disc

Windows 7 repair USB, Also Vista if service pack installed
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-re...tion-dvd-disc/
    http://www.webupd8.org/2010/10/creat...usb-drive.html
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Ahaa .D Yes, So far i have splitted my C drive to a 25gb un-allocated space in W D M.
    So if i am correct, i should plug in the bootable usb drive, start live ubuntu, choose install>something else> choose the un-allocated space and choose in the dropdown menu dev/sda?
    ?
    But i will make a backup of windows now anyway, just in case. How much does it need on my hdd or usb drive ? dont have any discs at all here. i upgraded windows 8 so i only have 2 extra partitions connected to my C. one called faultless (resetpartition,) and reserve. And then of course my C drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do not install yet.

There might be an issue with the number of partitions on your hard drive.

Please boot using the LiveDVD/USB in 'Try' mode that is 'Try without installing'.

Once you have the Live Desktop on your screen open a terminal (pressing Ctrl+Alt+T at the same time).
    Type in
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    and hit Enter.

Post the output of that command here for further assistance.

The l in the command is a lower-case L not a 1 or i

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by westie457 View Post
    Do not install yet.

There might be an issue with the number of partitions on your hard drive.

Please boot using the LiveDVD/USB in 'Try' mode that is 'Try without installing'.

Once you have the Live Desktop on your screen open a terminal (pressing Ctrl+Alt+T at the same time).
    Type in
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    and hit Enter.

Post the output of that command here for further assistance.

The l in the command is a lower-case L not a 1 or i
    Okey. Here it goes.

Disk /dev/sda: 750.2 GB, 750156374016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 91201 cylinders, total 1465149168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xc1ce73dc

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 2048 37750783 18874368 27 Hidden NTFS WinRE
    /dev/sda2 * 37750784 38467583 358400 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3 38467584 1413943295 687737856 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/sdb: 1052 MB, 1052639232 bytes
    26 heads, 57 sectors/track, 1387 cylinders, total 2055936 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xe25a021b

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 * 64 2055935 1027936 6 FAT16

Oh yeah. I have done a Windows 8 repair USB now . I noticed some files called UEFI and bootx64efi or something

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast