Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: video game recording have black screen

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: video game recording have black screen

you have a very old radeon card. Are you sure it's supported by fglrx? I would strongly suggest trying the mainline kernel 3.13 along with Oibaf's PPA for mesa and radeon open source driver. You shouldn't have any issues once you figure out your graphics driver issue.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    you have a very old radeon card. Are you sure it's supported by fglrx? I would strongly suggest trying the mainline kernel 3.13 along with Oibaf's PPA for mesa and radeon open source driver. You shouldn't have any issues once you figure out your graphics driver issue.
    Hi Danny,

I confess I didn't try any other kernels. I wonder if a newer kernel included with 14.04 is the reason why I have some success video recording the game?? I also had no idea that an open source video driver was available. I'll look into both, thanks for pointing out the alternatives!

I got the Asus mobo and the 6 core processor on a closeout special for $100 plus another $50 for 8 GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 ram, so I saved a bunch of $$ by not having to spend lots of bucks for the very latest and greatest. The only downside to the low cost mobo is the lack of usb 3 ports (I have 8 usb 2 ports) and the SATA ports are not sata 3 (they're sata II ports). I'd spend the extra bucks for a proper video card if it would solve the issue with recording the video games.

I don't need a gaming quality/high end video card as I'm not a serious gamer type. BUT, is buying a low end/medium end video card a viable option for fixing this issue???? I have all my expansion ports available and plan to buy a usb 3 add on card in the near future anyway.

Art

Beans
    Distro

ok, maybe i'm missing something here. what CPU did you get? your lshw -C display info is showing a radeon 3000, are you saying you don't have a discrete graphics card and you're using the gpu that's built into your CPU (called an APU by AMD)

And yes, there radeon open source driver is good BUT it's not as good as the proprietary amd driver on some grpahics cards. so it's possible your graphics card would do better with the open source drivers. what kernel are you running? yes, it's most likely because of the kernel in ubuntu 14.04 that you saw improvements. with the later kernel (3.13 for sure) there was major improvements with the radeon open source drivers and like i said, if you use Oibaf's PPA you can get a very recent version of mesa and the open source radeon driver which is far superior to the standrd open source radeon driver that ubuntu 14.04 includes by default.

Beans

I am saying that I do not have an added video card, I am very confident that I am using the 'card' built onto the mobo. I built (actually updated) the system myself and there are no cards plugged into any of the expansion plugs on the mobo.

The mobo is an ASUS M5A 78L-M LX series unit. The kernel is a .13.0-7-generic (#26-Ubuntu SMP Wed Feb 5 21:28:03 UTC 2014) (per the sysinfo utility program supplied with the 14.04 daily build from about 1 week ago). The GCC version is 4.8 (x86_64-linux-gnu), also per the sysinfo utility program. The Xorg version is 1.15.0 (06 February 2014 11:17:48AM). The cpu (as reported by the sysinfo utility program) is an AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor.

I just did a fresh lshw, results below.

sudo lshw -C display
    [sudo] password for ofourdaily:
    *-display
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: RS780L [Radeon 3000]
    vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
    physical id: 5
    bus info: pci@0000:01:05.0
    version: 00
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
    configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
    resources: irq:18 memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport:d000(size=256) memory:febe0000-febeffff memory:fea00000-feafffff
    ofourdaily@ofourdaily

I did a report from the system information and profiler program, the full report is posted at:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/6910894/

Let me know if you need other info.

Art

Beans
    Distro

ah i see, you have an older chip. you were having issues before because you were somehow using fglrx (amd catalyst) which isn't even supported anymore. Read here: http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar..._legacy2&num=1
    so you have no choice BUT to use the radeon open source drivers. If I were you I would install kernel 3.13 from mainline (there's 3 files you download as .deb files) and install them with dpkg and then install Oibaf's PPA for updated mesa from git and then you'll have the best possible graphics drivers for your system. If you want further help just let me know

Beans

Thanks Danny,

I was looking at Oibaf's PPA while you were replying to the last message.

I've had this processor and mobo for awhile now, and there has been no signs of a video problem....even netflix runs in wine with the windows software setup. My nephew bought the same mobo and processor, and he doesn't report any quirks or signs of video that ain't up to snuff.

You mentioned installing the 3.13 kernel from mainline.....is that a different kernal than I already have???? Unless a 'mainline' kernel is a different or special beast, I think I already have it. The report I poisted on pastebin shows my current kernel as '3.13.0-7-generic (x86_64)'.

It sure sounds like I need the open source driver though, I'll look into it further.

In the meantime, do I need to install the 'mainline' kernel, or is it the same as the 3.13 kernel I already have???

TY so much for pointing me in the right direction.

Art

Beans
    Distro

oh, i thought you posted earlier that you had kernel 3.0.7 or something like that. You don't need to install 3.13 mainline kernel since I guess Ubuntu 14.04 has it in there by default. So the only other thing you could do to get better performance from the radeon driver is to activate Oibaf's PPA. So what does sudo lshw -C display return now for your graphics driver?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    So what does sudo lshw -C display return now for your graphics driver?

As of just a few minutes ago, it shows the following:

Code:
    ofourdaily@ofourdaily:~$ sudo lshw -C display
    [sudo] password for ofourdaily: 
      *-display               
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: RS780L [Radeon 3000]
           vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
           physical id: 5
           bus info: pci@0000:01:05.0
           version: 00
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
           resources: irq:18 memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport:d000(size=256) memory:febe0000-febeffff memory:fea00000-feafffff
    ofourdaily@ofourdaily:~$
    I'm reading about adding the ppa now-it's a big step, but it seems like I need to just DO IT!

I still have my old 12.04 Xubuntu install, I might try it on that install first.

Agn, thanks.

Art

Beans

Hi Danny,

I'm still reading about the mesa driver(s).

At http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQ5OTk it's stated that the mesa driver will be available as default starting in 14.04.

HTML Code:
    There's lots of new features to Mesa 10.0  and will be officially released in November but it won't be found "out  of the box" in Ubuntu until the 14.04 LTS release next year.
    Under the circumstances, I'm wondering if I am already running the mesa driver.....I had no success recording video until I installed a pre-release 14.04 daily build last week. After installing 14.04, I can record video, although the size of the video is not quite right (yet).

I did one of the tests for the new mesa driver, and it failed miserably. I also checked the ppa, and the ppa for the mesa driver isn't listed. I'm still working on it......back to the books.

Art

Beans

Still not sure whether I am already running the mesa driver.

Per the link at:
    http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...aphics-Drivers

I had to install 'glxinfo'

After that, I got the following results from terminal:

Code:
    ofourdaily@ofourdaily:~$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
    OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780
    OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.0.1
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.40
    OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
    OpenGL core profile extensions:
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.0.1
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
    OpenGL context flags: (none)
    OpenGL extensions:

Code:
    ofourdaily@ofourdaily:~$ dpkg -l | grep libgl1-mesa-dri
    ii  libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64                 10.0.1-1ubuntu2                        amd64        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- DRI modules
    ii  libgl1-mesa-dri:i386                  10.0.1-1ubuntu2                        i386         free implementation of the OpenGL API -- DRI modules

Oibaf's ppa is not listed, see snapshot of my ppa's, attached.

Am I already running Oibaf's mesa driver???

Art
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast