Hello guys so I have some free time on my hands, And I want to give something back to the community as a way of helping newbies I am a newbie myself I have quite alot of free time on my hands so figured over the course of the next few days I will attempt to setup a Ubuntu Server with the eventual aim of documenting everything I do and publishing it through a WordPress blog. Little bit of history about my capabilities and experience I have dabbled with various Linux distributions over the last few years as a hobby am pretty competent at using the BASH shell am not afraid to get my hands dirty and with the aid of the wealth of knowledge from you kind people hopefully I gain reach the goal of documenting everything as a means of giving something back.
So I will lay out the initial steps of the configuration I have in mind I will be working virtually so will be using small partitions to get a feel now I will underline the goals below please comment on the best approach to get things configure and criticize or direct me in the right way.
1) Initial installation I will be using Ubuntu Server with 3 separate hard disks ( small sizes 8 Gigs) in a virtual configuration, I was thinking of having one for the Main O/S layout and
and having the other two in some form of raid or a LVM configuration so that I can document how to work with LVM's / Raid good idea? please suggest a better suggestion if I am
going about this wrong.
2) Ok so once the installation is complete I would like to have the option of installing a GUI now I am thinking something lightweight LXDE or Gnome 2
3) Once the GUI is installed I want to be able to access the server remotely so will need to configure SSH and want to learn and document how to secure it same for VNC
4) FTP configuration was thinking of setting up proftpd or vsftpd i'm not sure which one to go with? basically would like to document the steps to setup a FTP server, secure it and
be able to access the FTP shares and upload files from Windoze boxes on my network.
5) SAMBA configuration I was thinking of using the second hard disk as a Data share, So I will need to learn how to setup shares things like Music / Movies I would like to learn how
to implement security and authentication tbdsam back-end the best approach? will also need to learn how to mount Samba shares in Fstab and also wouldn't mind looking at
alternative configuration methods such as SWAT as a means of documenting for newbies if they do not feel comfortable using the Command line.
6) Some way of backing up the data of the Samba share from the second hard disk to the third hard disk either by tar or rsync and documenting how to use crontab is there a better
7) Setting up a Torrent server in which I can manage downloads remotely suggestions?
8) Setting up a Apache web server and hosting blog
9) Securing the system
10) Basic Bash scripting introduction and maybe putting some useful scripts to work on the system and documenting them for other users
11) System monitoring tools and hard disk monitoring tools
Those are my initial goals like I said I have alot of time on my hands and wish to give something back to the members of the community I am dedicated to the cause and my goal is to setup a hub where people who are new can follow my work and learn more about Ubuntu Server.
Feel free to comment back and suggest ideas to me like I say this is all new to me and will be a exciting journey
Many Thanks For Your Help