Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first venture into Testing!

Beans

My first venture into Testing!

It didn't work out very well, but hopefully the team can learn something from the attempt:

http://adoptedsidekick.wordpress.com...out-very-well/

I've shared all this on the xubuntu development e-mail list, along with my hardware profile. I tried setting up the profile and all that stuff on the wiki but I guess I don't know how. Any pointers on doing that would be appreciated.

Anyway some folks might enjoy reading about a first-time tester's halting ventures into helping out in my own small way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: My first venture into Testing!

First rule of thumb.

Never use the Update/upgrade Mangler. lol

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...3#post11893873
    This is not Convergence, This is now Gnome
    Ubuntu Development Version Testing Blog Remarks
    Running 16.04 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If things in the development branch worked out well all the time then testers would not be needed. Take my experience this morning. My usual Trusty install loaded to a broken desktop. No unity. I use recovery mode to update/upgrade and resume to get to a desktop. Then I rebooted and was able to get to a desktop without being in the llvmpipe fallback mode. So far, so good.

I decided to install the one Windows program that I need and which does not have a Linux version. So, far so good but it needed MS fonts. So, I installed ttf-mscorefonts-installer through the Software Centre and I did not get an option to accept the EULA. Only an option to decline the EULA.

Installation of the installer was successful but the MS fonts did not get installed. After several attempts I worked out the specific command to use in the terminal. Success! I have never had this problem in other stable versions of Ubuntu

This kind of stuff always happens when we do not have the time for messing around. Such is life.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you don't have the time to mess around I don't advise using Trusty as your main squeeze.

I consider testing releases exactly that - testing - and I always have a rock solid LTS installed. Other things I refer to as my 'playthings' and they live in one of the playpens (their own partitions).

Beans

It was fun! I'm learning a little as I go, and I'm not sorry I tried. I just hope it was useful for more than just educating me!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    If things in the development branch worked out well all the time then testers would not be needed. Take my experience this morning. My usual Trusty install loaded to a broken desktop. No unity. I use recovery mode to update/upgrade and resume to get to a desktop. Then I rebooted and was able to get to a desktop without being in the llvmpipe fallback mode. So far, so good.

I decided to install the one Windows program that I need and which does not have a Linux version. So, far so good but it needed MS fonts. So, I installed ttf-mscorefonts-installer through the Software Centre and I did not get an option to accept the EULA. Only an option to decline the EULA.
    I have never directly installed ttf-mscorefonts-installer from the software center but I have installed it by using ubuntu-restricted from the software center and it works every time. I just wonder that if ttf-mscorefonts-installer was previously installed by installing ubuntu-restricted if that would bring up that negative prompt.?

Thanks for sharing.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by robin7 View Post
    It was fun! I'm learning a little as I go, and I'm not sorry I tried. I just hope it was useful for more than just educating me!
    With ubuntu-testing the sky is the limit to what you can do!

One philosophy is to try to break a development cycle. When we bust things we discover things ... and this is fun .. and fun is why we are here in U+1 !

Beans

I'd like to post my findings to QA, but I keep runing into this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

It could have been great, I think, but I guess I'm done being a tester. And I know I'm not the only person to hit such a stupid brick wall when trying to help out.

Why Ubuntu has too few testers!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Testing is not for everyone and you obviously had no idea what you were getting into. Unsure what the rant on the link is on about, but anyway, good luck.

If you install a testing release, be prepared to jump through some hoops. I don't get it. 14.04 is not released until April. You were expecting a stable, solid install??? I wouldn't think so. It is not an easy ride ...

Reporting bugs and testing releases is a piece of cake, if that's what you actually want to do ...

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    ... try to break a development cycle. When we bust things we discover things ... and this is fun .. and fun is why we are here in U+1 !
    ^^^
    This. If you're not there, don't run an unreleased Ubuntu.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; February 2nd, 2014 at 01:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast