Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mate1.8

Beans

Lightbulb Mate1.8

Ubuntu 14.04lts is nice, and it allows me to use other desktops. So I installed Mate 1.8, a beautiful and uncomplicated desktop that allows me to use my computer with ease and fewer

mouse and keyboard movements. It seems to me that most of the systems that are supposed to be simpler really are not. What are some good reasons to use the standard ubuntu 14.04lts

desktop over the mate1.8??? I do not know of any.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Mate1.8

Neither do I, but I guess it's horses for courses. Whatever best suits the way you work. I could ask why everyone is not using xfce4, but it's not for everyone. But it's definitely for me.

Go with what suits.

Beans

Thanks I will take a look it via synaptic.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

What are some good reasons to use the standard ubuntu 14.04lts

desktop over the mate1.8??? I do not know of any.
    Aesthetics? Of course this is very subjective but Unity does look more modern than Gnome2 / MATE. Also Unity gives you more vertical screen space with only one bar that is also used for the menu. I am not a Unity user myself but I sure see it's merits.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

These things are just a different way of doing things. And it does not take long to adapt. I am fully adapted to Unity. I like it. I prefer it.

I have also installed Ubuntu Mate. It is the Mate desktop built on the Utopic Unicorn (14.10) development code. The developers have applied for it to be accepted as a official Ubuntu flavour. And the application has been welcomed. I could adapt to the Mate user interface in a couple of weeks.

It is Ubuntu to be tolerant of the choices of others.

https://ubuntu-mate.org/

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; September 21st, 2014 at 10:07 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

MATE 1.8 in Linux Mint MATE 17 is a solid desktop environment. It works the way you expect and doesn't give you surprises.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The popular interfaces are all really much more alike than they are different. They all use stack window managers (windows overlay each other on the desktop), icons, menus of some form or another (including Unity and Gnome Shell; their full-screen displays are esssentially menus adorned with large icons), and they all allow icons to be placed in convenient containers called docks/panels.

Usability studies can, and have, been run on different interfaces in attempts to measure efficiency (mouseclicks required to accomplish some task or another). But, I think that most of us make subjective decisions based on appearance and *our* ability to quickly adapt to using a new interface. If we adapt quickly, we tend to call that interface "intuitive". It just means it was easy for us to figure it out.

Beans

what are the advantages of one DE over another? personal preference. its like a group of people going out for dinner. one wants salad, another steak, another , seafood, another pasta, another surf and turf. personal preference.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rosswmcgee View Post
    Ubuntu 14.04lts is nice, and it allows me to use other desktops. So I installed Mate 1.8, a beautiful and uncomplicated desktop that allows me to use my computer with ease and fewer

mouse and keyboard movements. ...
    What could be less complicated than an uncomplicated desktop? An Openbox session: no desktop at all.

Beans

It's be more pertinent to compare Unity to Cinnamon. Mate is a lighter DE and more comparable with XFCE really. Though I found Mate rather slow myself. It's OK but I wasn't all that impressed.

A lot of Windows refugees would like Mate more than Unity because it's more like Windows. I don't really like Unity either but for different reasons ... I found it slow and problematic. I have xubuntu on my netbook and Kubuntu on the laptop I use at home most of the time.

While I didn't like Mate all that much I wouldn't want to talk anybody out of using it. But there are 3 other official ubuntu DEs, and until Mate is supported by Canonical ... or if ... I don't see why I should use a 3rd party DE. You just won't get the tech support.

You could just use Linux Mint with the Mate desktop. But while I don't have any problems with Mint per se, I can't recommend itto newbies because their tech support is not good. At all. I've had Mint installed twice on my netbook and both times had to search ubuntu support for config issues. There didn't seem to be anyone on the mint forums who even understood the problem. This approach works, but only if you know what to search for, which newbies don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast