Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd discovery - Source code and speed

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Odd discovery - Source code and speed

This discovery sprouted from a long line of random thoughts and a few hours of pointless daydreaming... basically heres what I discovered:

I decided to go through the firefox source code, and remove every comment, every blank line of code, and every tab.
    This left me with a (much smaller) hunk of uncommented, untabbed code.

And to my suprise, it actually made Firefox faster. I mean a lot freaking faster. I'm guessing it's from the smaller file sizes and less processing power used when bypasssing comments.
    I will say I don't know much about code and compiling and software speed.

Anyways, so over the 3 weeks following that, I decided to do that to all major components of my OS, (xfce, xfwm, firefox, thunderbird, bash, libreoffice, and some of the x11 things)
    I could not believe how much this has increased the overall speed of my OS...

Maybe one of you could enlighten me as to why what I did made such a difference. Perhaps then I could squeeze even more out of this code
    Things to remember :
    - Use proper english
    - Comment your code
    - Keep background information and introductions to a minimum

Beans

Re: Odd discovery - Source code and speed

I am subscribing to this post, I don't have any idea how you managed to find that but I am interested to find out from one of the bigger boys out here. Enlighten us !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

perhaps you are still daydreaming?

seriously, can you show us the speed up time with some benchmarking program?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

The compiler ignores comments, so they make no difference to what ends up in the executable.

However numbers are numbers, so if you have benchmark results between the 2 versions, and they were compiled with all the same options on the same machine then its very interesting.
    Last edited by ssam; January 28th, 2014 at 02:30 PM.

Beans

Are you comparing two versions that you built on your machine, one with and and one without comments - or are you comparing a build without comments on your machine against a standard pre-built binary from the repository?

At least in C/C++, comments are stripped out by the pre-processor (you can verify this by running gcc -E somefile.c)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ssam View Post
    The compiler ignores comments, so they make no difference to what ends up in the executable.

However numbers are numbers, so if you have benchmark results between the 2 versions, and they were compiled with all the same options on the same machine then its very interesting.
    I believe this to be true of compiled languages, although I'm not sure if any commenting goes into the compiled binaries as debugging info and making the binaries bigger.

However, I gather that most of firefox is written in an interpreted language called XUL. I wonder if this is what Tristan_Williams has been editing. I can well imaging that making a difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to programming talk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    I believe this to be true of compiled languages, although I'm not sure if any commenting goes into the compiled binaries as debugging info and making the binaries bigger.

However, I gather that most of firefox is written in an interpreted language called XUL. I wonder if this is what Tristan_Williams has been editing. I can well imaging that making a difference.
    https://www.ohloh.net/p/firefox/anal...guages_summary
    Firefox is mostly C++ and C, with some javascript and others (I think XUL would show as XML on that chart). However the performance critical code should all be in C and C++.

If the comment stripping holds up to benchmarks I am sure mozilla would like to know. They put a lot of effort into performance.

Beans
    Distro

I am performing benchmarks here in a few hours. I will post the results when I am done.
    Things to remember :
    - Use proper english
    - Comment your code

Beans
    Distro

I ran some tests and heres what I found:

Testing Conditions were as follows:
    - xfce4 Desktop environment
    - Most current updates as of Jan 28 2014 9:15pm
    - Newly created user, as to not have any random startup apps, old settings lying around, or any other form of possible corruption
    - No applications running, except application being tested (Mozilla Firefox)
    - Dell Vostro 220 Series Desktop Computer - 3 GB of DDR2 RAM, Intel core2 duo processor.
    - 310 GB HDD (300 GB as root, 10 GB as swap)
    - 'cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness' returns '10'
    - OS: Ubuntu Minimal, build into a full, lightweight desktop environment.
    - Kernel: 3.11.0-15-lowlatency

Disclaimer: I did not use a benchmarking software. I do not know how to use them, and google only told me how to test overall system performance. So they wouldn't have helped anyways...
    I used a combination of top, htop, and timed the speed of various tasks (the tests were conducted EXACTLY the same)

Firefox Test 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5:
    Compiled WITH unchanged code.
    Avg RAM used: 5.4% (165.8 mb)
    Avg CPU usage: 1.7%
    Application Loading time: 3.5 seconds
    google.com load time: 4 seconds
    facebook.com load time: 5.5 seconds
    ubuntuforums.org load time: 4 seconds

Firefox Test 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10:
    Compiled WITH changed code
    Avg RAM used: 4.9% (165.8 mb)
    Avg CPU usage: 1.5%
    Application Loading time: 3.1 seconds
    google.com load time: 3.75 seconds
    facebook.com load time: 5 seconds
    ubuntuforums.org load time: 3.3 seconds

Code changes include:
    - Removed all comments from source code
    - Removed all blank lines from source code
    - Removed all "tabs" from source code (that includes tabs and unneeded spaces)
    - Combined all code which was spread over more than one line, into a single line. example(yeah i know it's in bash, not c++):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xfce4 xfce4-goodies \
    firefox thunderbird \
    libreoffice gedit gedit-plugins

becomes this:
    sudo apt-get install xfce4 xfce4-goodies firefox thunderbird libreoffice gedit gedit-pliugins
    That's just an example of what i mean by "combining lines"
    - Removed unneeded files from the source tree (i.e the AUTHORS file, the INSTALL instructions, and all of the other files not actually used by the application)

All tests were coducted EXACTLY the same, with the same conditions.
    I conducted 5 tests per version... actually, let me rephrase that... I compiled and installed the normal version 5 times, and tested 3 times each round, and did the same for the edited version.

I realize that this isn't as valid as actual benchmarks. If you want actual benchmarks, someone is gonna have to tell me how to benchmark APPLICATIONS, and not the entire system.
    Things to remember :
    - Use proper english
    - Comment your code

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast