Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO Install VAG-COM using Wine

Beans

Re: HOW-TO Install VAG-COM using Wine

Another trick:
    #ln -sf /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/ttyS0

Also check out freediag (remember to try $set interface and scan).
    Personally I can't connect to the ECU in Windows or anything. Not sure if it's software, cable or actual ECU.

Beans

I might be able to help on that one. What kind of cable you are using and what is your car model and motor type?

Beans

ooh, ohh!
    It's:

- VW T4 2.5tdi

- Interface is a cheap Chinese copy, blue with OBD-II written on it. lsusb says `Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC` and it was advertised with `FTDI Chip` mentioned, which is the same as the Ross-tech cables from VAGCOM 4-ish

to be exact:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KKL-VAG-VW-AUD...d=p3911.c0.m14

UK ebay item 320290020369

Beans

Problem is that V6 engine. Some of theses are a bit tricky and you might not be able to connect on that engine anyway. Problem lies behind the fact that PC serial port is not capable exact 10400 baud speed which is what OBD uses but just very close. Those V6 ECU:s are not that tolerant than most of the ECU:s are.

There are still something you might try. On Windows (sorry) you might drop baud rate from 9600 to 4800 and/or change latency time from 16ms to e.g. 8ms. Those are under USB-serial port setting. Same tricks might work on Ubuntu to.

You also should try to get connect engine running/not running. And putting laptop on charger is also sometimes helped. Warning do not use any inverter but real car laptop charger!

On VAG-COM settings try start baud as 9600 but if not helping put it back what ever the was.

Also you could try with VAG-COM version 311.2. If these are not working you need to get Ross-Techs HEX-series adapter. Those have MCU inside helping to get connected.

Beans

Thanks. Tried all that. Tried with freediag scantool (set interfaces tried all), ODBii `Vehicle Explorer` (freeware) and VAGCOM. Vagcom is the only one that makes the car dash audiably tick.

Funny thing is, I had it working before. It's not a V6 engine but a Turbo Diesel. (Transporter campervan)

Beans

Thumbs down Re: HOW-TO Install VAG-COM using Wine

In lou to my vortex post and being a heavy tester here for the 2681 thinkpad I got a new toy my eee 901. Trying to get Vag Com 311.2 working under wine, i symlinked the usbdev to com1 as everyone else, it works effectively, however, after the first communication with the car is severed, the interface is dead until a reboot. I have also removed the tty package as stated in the earlier post.

Running Ubuntu-Eee 8.04.1 *current

Using Generic FTDI cable

Even if the cable is unplugged and replugged it does not interface with the dongle until a reboot.

Vortex post: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?cmd=fshow&id=510

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I found the same with my EEE 701. Worked for a while, would stop and wouldn't work until a reboot. Never found a solution.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: HOW-TO Install VAG-COM using Wine

Bump.

Has anyone fixed the buggy ftdi module it is most definitely the issue. If you link it properly it communicates for sure the first handshake (when it pulls the green vin/serial) After that the connection is severed until a reboot, even if the machine is rebooted.

Haven't seen any progress in the couple kernel updates since my last post.

I dont have a windows laptop.. so it would be nice to know where this is heading, or if the genuine hardware is supported and not buggy.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I doubt it will be fixed to be honest. I think the best way forward is to file a bug and try to contact the original developer. If you can find out what changed a few revisions ago then perhaps the regression can be fixed. It may be something to do with the tickless kernel stuff that was done for power saving a while back. Have you tried the server or i386 kernel?

Beans

Hi ive got vag com all installed, but it has one major flaw the buttons are all garbled and are a differant size to those in windows. I am running 409.1
    Can anybody help. I am still new to the linux world but finding it great so far.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast