Thread: Running Lubuntu On Old Computer

Beans

Running Lubuntu On Old Computer

I have successfully deleted the previous OS and burned Lubuntu 13.10 on a CD, before installation I checked the CD for errors. I have apparently successfully installed Lubuntu 13.10 twice.

When starting up the computer I'm given two choices of OS's: Ubuntu or Ubuntu 13.10. Ubuntu leads to a frozen screen with the bottom 1/4 black and the top 3/4 light blue with four small, distorted Lubuntu logos stretched towards the upper right, below each logo are four dots. Ubuntu 13.10 leads to a frozen solid black screen with a green bar across the top.

How can I run this successfully?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Running Lubuntu On Old Computer

Rutherford_Hayes; Hi !

Graphics driver issue ?
    If you are running Nvidia or ATI graphics, Try this:

At that grub menu screen, "normal" kernel highlighted, press the 'e' key for edit mode;
    boot parameters screen -> arrow down and across to the terms "quiet splash" and insert also the term "nomodeset" - with out the quotes-
    key combo ctl+x to continue the boot process,

Do you now boot to a GUI ? login and
    Additional drivers -> install the recommended driver.

Other makers cards have similar boot parameters to disable the kernel's mode setting permit the installation of alternate drivers.

hope this helps
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Running Lubuntu On Old Computer

R_H, when jumping to a new thread it would be a friendly gesture to post a closing remark in the old one so people there are not wasting their time.

People answering in the new thread would appreciate if you brought relevant information along from the old one, for example the hardware in question.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.