Thread: Cannot get Ubuntu 13.10 to dual boot with pre-installed windows 8.1. Weird problem

Threaded View

Beans

Cannot get Ubuntu 13.10 to dual boot with pre-installed windows 8.1. Weird problem

So I've installed Ubuntu on multiple pcs multiple times and this time i am stumped. So I have a UEFI bootloader and I've turned off secure boot, fast boot, and put it into csm mode. At one point i had them both booting perfectly but then i deleted the partition because i didn't like the partition layout. So what im encountering now is that every time i install ubuntu after formatting my hd partition and setting aside free space for it(using windows diskmanagement), the grub menu always boots into minimalist bash commands mode which makes it impossible to boot ubuntu. I've tried boot repair with the Live CD but it doesn't seem to work. What's weird is that i've reinstalled it about 7 times and each time im getting the same grub terminal at the start once i set my bios to boot ubuntu first. Something to take into account is that not once has my windows os has been affected in way shape or form. I somehow am always able to boot into windows perfectly. Could anyone give me any insight on this?

edit: I have an asus x550lc model notebook
    Last edited by ali12; January 27th, 2014 at 05:28 PM.