Thread: How to install .tar.gz programs???

Beans

How to install .tar.gz programs???

Hello evreybody. Im new to linux. I have just installed Ubuntu 13.1 and i really like it so far but im having trouble installing programs when i click download on the program it saves it in my downloads folder as a .tar.gz file and i have no clue where to go from there to install it. Hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: How to install .tar.gz programs???

Please, read this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1899665, specially post number 3, explains all the possible ways to uncompress and install .tar.gz files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

software center

Ideally you should be able to find the program in the Software Center. Check there first, it will save a lot of trouble and manage updates for you automatically. Synaptic does the same thing so you can use that instead, if you have it, instead. But if the program is not in the Software Center, you might check if there is aPPA instead. If not, then follow the steps pointed to in #2 above for working with a tar ball.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: How to install .tar.gz programs???

Quote Originally Posted by bryan13 View Post
    Hello evreybody. Im new to linux. I have just installed Ubuntu 13.1 and i really like it so far but im having trouble installing programs when i click download on the program it saves it in my downloads folder as a .tar.gz file and i have no clue where to go from there to install it. Hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks
    Here's a nice tutorial on how to install software in Ubuntu.