Thread: configuring toolbars, workspaces, and compiz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Cool configuring toolbars, workspaces, and compiz

Running Ubuntu 13.10 Desktop <-- and it's not broken yet

I hope I'm in the right area and that I'm not including tooo much in this post. I have 3 things I'm hoping to get some help on. If anyone can help I would sure appreciate it...

They are :

1) I want to have this one thing I think you can get with compiz but I don't know what it's called

--> It makes a wall in the desktop that shows the lanuchers in it
    --> Looks just like macintosh where the wall is curved away from you and there's a reflection beneath it
    --> You can click on the launchers and that's what launches your applications

2) I want "1)" to replace the unity launcher bar altogether ( or, better yet, just not show the unity launcher and use that instead )

3) I have 4 workspaces now but I want to make things so certain launchers only appear in certain workspaces and the apps thereof only launch within that workspace. I've named my workspaces "Office Administration", "Research and Development","Multimedia and Entertainment", and "System Administration" ( workspaces 1, 2, 3, and 4 respectively )

--> For the Office Administration workspace I want only the following to appear on its wall and to only launch within that workspace...

- Thunderbird email
    - Okular
    - Gnome terminal
    - Firefox
    - and so on ( you get the idea )

--> For the Research and Development workspace I want only the following to appear on its wall and to only launch within that workspace...

- eclipse
    - Visual Paradigm
    - Redmine
    - phpPgAdmin
    - Gnome terminal ( so some overlap )
    - Firefox ( so some overlap )

--> For the Multimedia and Entertainment workspace I want only the following to appear on its wall and to only launch within that workspace...

- Gimp
    - VLC
    - Deluge
    - Netflix
    - Gnome terminal ( ...some overlap )
    - Firefox ( ...some overlap )

--> For the System Administration workspace I want only the following to appear on its wall and to only launch within that workspace...

- Webmin
    - Gedit
    - Software center
    - System settings ( launcher )
    - Gnome terminal ( ...overlap )
    - Firefox ( ...overlap )
    Last edited by ClientAlive; January 25th, 2014 at 05:19 PM.
    “ The best method for accelerating a computer is the one that boosts it by 9.8 m/s2. ”
    - Anonymous

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Want help configuring toolbars, workspaces, and compiz

You should first install Compiz Configuration Settings Manager (CCSM) and/or Unity Tweak Tool. Other people will suggest other options but first make sure that they are compliant with the Ubuntu 13.10 and Unity 7, which is in 13.10. And then experiment with the settings. But keep a record of the changes you make because you may have to revert those changes.

The Launcher can be set to autohide. you will find that in System Settings>Appearance>Behaviour tab. What do you want to replace the Launcher with?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yep, use ccsm, and go to the section "place windows"
    Then go to the section fixed window placement
    And set it as you would like.
    add the entries to the fixed windows viewport.
    viewport = workspace.

I think when using the grab I change it to title, as opposed to the class setting or something.

Anyway, that's where you can set various apps in the various workspaces.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    You should first install Compiz Configuration Settings Manager (CCSM) and/or Unity Tweak Tool. Other people will suggest other options but first make sure that they are compliant with the Ubuntu 13.10 and Unity 7, which is in 13.10. And then experiment with the settings. But keep a record of the changes you make because you may have to revert those changes.

The Launcher can be set to autohide. you will find that in System Settings>Appearance>Behaviour tab. What do you want to replace the Launcher with?

Regards.
    Thank you. I do have ccsm installed and did spend a couple hrs messing around with it yesterday, just that I haven't been finding what I need.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Yep, use ccsm, and go to the section "place windows"
    Then go to the section fixed window placement
    And set it as you would like.
    add the entries to the fixed windows viewport.
    viewport = workspace.

I think when using the grab I change it to title, as opposed to the class setting or something.

Anyway, that's where you can set various apps in the various workspaces.
    Thanks. That takes care of placing windows where I want them, and grahammechanical gave me the way to hide unity launcher, any ideas on how to get that wall thingy?

“ The best method for accelerating a computer is the one that boosts it by 9.8 m/s2. ”
    - Anonymous

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ClientAlive View Post
    Thanks. That takes care of placing windows where I want them, and grahammechanical gave me the way to hide unity launcher, any ideas on how to get that wall thingy?

No clue, and I don't understand the idea you want to achieve, but probably look at the ccsm sections "desktop wall" and "expo".
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ClientAlive View Post
    ..... any ideas on how to get that wall thingy?

No, but I have seen a thread somewhere here talking about it. If you can find the codename Apple uses for that dock, it might turn up searching the forums?
    I have a Toshiba Satellite C50D laptop with 3.4 GB of RAM and (AMD E1-1200 APU @ 1.4 GHz with Radeon HD Graphics) x 2 processor; (older posts refer to 8.04, 9.10, 12.04 on this or other hardware).