Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [13.10] Move the unity launcher on bottom

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: [13.10] Move the unity launcher on bottom

Quote Originally Posted by mastudebaker View Post
    I have been using stock Ubuntu for the last 6 months. Before that, Xubuntu for a couple of years. Trying to get use to Unity on the left but it still annoys me.

Why should I have to get use to it? Why can't I just move it? Windows allows me to move the task bar to any corner.

Why do I have to have the "Apple" style menu command in the top bar? This makes no sense to me unless you run everything at full screen. Why do I have to have the "Apple" style close/min/max buttons on the left? I believe you are forced to do it now with 13.10??? Please don't ever force to use those god awful Ubuntu scrollbars...

These are some of the reasons why I don't have a MBP - cause the UI annoys me. With Ubuntu's trend, I may eventually just bite the bullet and move to a MBP.

All that complaining aside - I really do enjoy Ubuntu and it's sweet on my Dell Sputnik laptop. No worries about drivers. As it should be..
    Because thats what Canonical says. They know whats best for you. Stop complaining and do what you are told. /sarcasm

Before you ditch Linux for an even more walled approach, give XFCE, KDE, or Enlightenment a shot. All three are great in different ways. I tried the latest Enlightenment a few days ago and was shocked how it looked.

I would suggest Openbox like I use, but its not about pretty or flash AT ALL.
    Stop Trusted Computing! http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
    Asus Rampage 2 Extreme/2.66GHz i7 Quad/6GB DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24/2x Nvidia 9800GTX+
    2x150GB 10krpm HD/2x1TB 7200RPM HD/3ware RAID/
    Xubuntu 11.04/Arch Linux/Gentoo Linux/Fedora

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
    Because thats what Canonical says. They know whats best for you. Stop complaining and do what you are told. /sarcasm

Before you ditch Linux for an even more walled approach, give XFCE, KDE, or Enlightenment a shot. All three are great in different ways. I tried the latest Enlightenment a few days ago and was shocked how it looked.

I would suggest Openbox like I use, but its not about pretty or flash AT ALL.
    Absolutely detested E17 ! But reading this wants to give it a try again, coz one thing E17 was, it was fast.!

Any major changes to expect in latest Enlightment?
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by bhattabhishek View Post
    Absolutely detested E17 ! But reading this wants to give it a try again, coz one thing E17 was, it was fast.!

Any major changes to expect in latest Enlightment?
    Its been a long time since I used E17, but it has nowhere near the visual polish as the latest enlightenment git. Why did you detest it? If its because its too flashy, then you still wont like it

Beware the latest E is still in an alpha state, so it wont be the most stable. Ive never tried e18, so that might be the best bet.

The main reason I tried the latest E is because it will have Wayland support when that takes over X. Of course, I guess im supposed to talk about Mir here. Its not Wayland 100% yet though...

If you want fast, try Openbox or Fluxbox with stuff bolted onto it. Doesnt get much faster...
    Stop Trusted Computing! http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
    Asus Rampage 2 Extreme/2.66GHz i7 Quad/6GB DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24/2x Nvidia 9800GTX+
    2x150GB 10krpm HD/2x1TB 7200RPM HD/3ware RAID/
    Xubuntu 11.04/Arch Linux/Gentoo Linux/Fedora

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Returning to Ubuntu 14.04 after a couple year hiatus. After a couple days of Unity I gotta say it's not bad. I really like the persistent task bar and how the same launch icon is the running program (like Windows 7 or newer)...

But now I'm trying to simply move the bar to the bottom of the screen which I like a lot better. HOW DO YOU DO THIS? This is Linux, the most customization OS there is and I still can't figure it out. I would think you simply click+drag then lock it, or in the Unity options. I also installed Compiz settings and don't see it there either.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    But that's the thing.
    It isn't a large volume request.

it's a loud volume request.

The few who want it, make a lot of noise.
    Wait a second, please... What???

So Canonical has a new "religion" about the left side of the screen -- MY screen -- and asking for anything else is heresy?

Guess what?

The first inviolate principle of Linux is that it is expected to be fully customizable by the end user. How's that for "religion?" If nothing else, it means that Canonical, with its Unity "plans for the left side," are violating a basic principle of Linux. It is supposed to be fully customizable by the end-user, even .00000001% of them. Period.

Of course, no one owes the end-user any kind of gui tools to make configuration and customization easy, let the user dive into the code and do it himself. Quite right. Nothing would justify such a massive investment in time and effort on Canonical's part.

But this is entirely different. It's not as if the tools never existed, they were all there: dconf-editor, CCSM, gsettings, you name it. And they're still there. But Canonical has disabled any effect they might have on anything having to do with the sacrosanct "left side." Window buttons "min/max/close" for instance -- sure the entries are still in dconf-editor, you can modify the values, but the event is intercepted by the Unity code and nullified.

Windows decorations? I'm typing this on 13.04 with CCSM having the Gnome-Compatibility plugin, AND the Unity plugin, AND the Windows Decorations plugin enabled. All three. But today, upgrading on a different machine from 13.10 to 14.04-LTS, the Unity plugin conflicts with the other two. So Canonical has gone out of its way, invested time and effort, not to add something, but to disable something that already existed. To enforce "my way or the highway." That's quite the opposite of bending over backwards to allow silly end-users to make their silly customizations, isn't it?

Besides, on what basis did you take it upon yourself to determine that those who "make all the noise" are "just a few?" That "it's not a large volume request?" Where did you get your figures? Do you have figures? Has a study ever been done? Or did you get your figures from HHS?
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...avital&t=45104
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@phinn: you can't move the unity launcher (dock)...it has to stay on the left...most of us have gotten use to it there and don't really mind that much but yeah, They feel it must be on the left as that is how it will be across all devices (i guess that is why it is called unity...LOL)...

Interesting note: my mac using friend can put his dock anywhere he wants (default is bottom of course) and he has his mac dock on the left (like unity) and i asked him way...he answered "It just seems to make more sense"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by r_avital View Post

The first inviolate principle of Linux is that it is expected to be fully customizable by the end user.
    Actually no. The first inviolate principle of Linux is that if you can code you can customize anything because source code is open. You can even build the oS from scratch, there was a ppa which provided a patched Unity where you could move the dock but the developer has dropped it. So you do have freedom if you know the stuffs and don't mind spending time on it. If you get a packaged deal from a distro there is no principle that the DE has to be infinitely customizable.

I happen to be think that the dock should be movable (though I kind of like the way it is now), so it is not that I am not sympathetic to your expectation, but I just can't agree with your argument.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 23rd, 2014 at 05:56 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Actually no. The first inviolate principle of Linux is that if you can code you can customize anything because source code is open.
    I agree, of course. And respectfully, Ibelieve you misunderstand. You are correct, which is exactly why I said:

"Of course, no one owes the end-user any kind of gui tools to make configuration and customization easy, let the user dive into the code and do it himself. Quite right."

But in the case of min/max/close buttons, we're not talking about a patch on a ppa that was dropped by developers. A good example of a great tool that was abandoned for such reasons would be klamav.

Again, what happened (in the example of min/max/close buttons on the left) is the exact opposite. The customization tools already existed and still do. Canonical simply wilfully, intentionally, invested coding time and effort to neutralize them. Wilfully and intentionally invested time in having existing, working, ccsm plugins that used to solve the problem now raise conflicts with each other.

So for me, the Unity dock knows what it can go do with itself, and I'll be the happy primitive, unsophisticated, knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing, sister-loving rube using MATE.

I still would love to hear, though, what evidence there is that this is "only" the problem of a "loud" minority. That "my way or the highway" attitude touches on a lot of aspects of Trusty, and is the source of that much discontent.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...avital&t=45104
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I still would love to hear, though, what evidence there is that this is "only" the problem of a "loud" minority. That "my way or the highway" attitude touches on a lot of aspects of Trusty, and is the source of that much discontent.
    There are roughly 20 million Ubuntu users worldwide, yet you only see unity complaints by somewhere between several hundred and a couple thousand, at best.

I never said it is only a problem for them, only that those who have voiced about it are a very small minority in the overall scheme of things.

When those voices reach a couple hundred thousand, or a couple million, then Canonical will take a step back and listen.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    There are roughly 20 million Ubuntu users worldwide
    And roughly just about as many ways to customize a desktop

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast