Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [13.10] Move the unity launcher on bottom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: [13.10] Move the unity launcher on bottom

Considering this is ultimately up to those who can make changes to make changes, it is just another one of those large-volume-requests that will never be.
    But that's the thing.
    It isn't a large volume request.

it's a loud volume request.

The few who want it, make a lot of noise.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I thought this would be in Recurring by now
    Guess what?
    The Left Coast Geek * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    But that's the thing.
    It isn't a large volume request.

it's a loud volume request.

The few who want it, make a lot of noise.
    That might be true. The thing is moving the launcher is important for users new to Ubuntu (the loud ones), I consider myself objective and open minded, I'm not a fanboy or something but from my experience as a new user the first thing I did in Ubuntu was a google search for how to move the launcher. The current userbase of Ubuntu is mostly tech savvy users who in most cases simply don't care about the visual experience and the aesthetics of the OS, if they are bothered by the launcher they simply change DE, but that is not true for the casual users and new "converts". On the other hand those who are used to the fairly well designed Windows and OS X won't have the incentive to move to Ubuntu and Ubuntu should cater to those "mainstream" masses if it wants to exit the 1% market share and being categorized in the group of "Others" and "Linux"

Ubuntu is not that powerful to dictate new design trends and frankly is not that well designed to over shadow Windows or OS X UX.

I understand and respect the decision to create unified experience across devices. But don't let your new experiments brake the already proven product that got Ubuntu where it is.
    Last edited by peyo2; January 26th, 2014 at 06:04 AM.

Beans

I have been using stock Ubuntu for the last 6 months. Before that, Xubuntu for a couple of years. Trying to get use to Unity on the left but it still annoys me.

Why should I have to get use to it? Why can't I just move it? Windows allows me to move the task bar to any corner.

Why do I have to have the "Apple" style menu command in the top bar? This makes no sense to me unless you run everything at full screen. Why do I have to have the "Apple" style close/min/max buttons on the left? I believe you are forced to do it now with 13.10??? Please don't ever force to use those god awful Ubuntu scrollbars...

These are some of the reasons why I don't have a MBP - cause the UI annoys me. With Ubuntu's trend, I may eventually just bite the bullet and move to a MBP.

All that complaining aside - I really do enjoy Ubuntu and it's sweet on my Dell Sputnik laptop. No worries about drivers. As it should be..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I had a spare laptop that I decided to install vanilla Ubuntu on with the launch of Saucy. For the first time trying out Unity, I kinda like the improvements that have been made since its inception. However, I moved to xfce (Xubuntu) on all my other serious machines. Unity, to me, feels like an experiment. Therefore, that is what it has been relegated to in my world.

There are a few things I really like about Unity. I like being able to right click on a launcher icon to end a program. I like the unified menus. I like typing in the first few letters of the app I'm looking for. As always, it is theme-able so, I can customize it.

Things I don't like are the inability to move the damn launcher. It makes sense to have everything on the left side of the screen...if everything was on the left side of the screen. But the log-out/shut-down button is on the far right side of the screen! And, that can't be moved either! I also like to see all the apps on my machine in one place. Now, I realize this is possible with Unity but, the way one has to click endlessly through the dash to see everything and then, it doesn't remember the search parameters the next time, is ridiculous. Problem solved with a plug-in called ClassicMenu-Indicator. But, I shouldn't need a plug-in.

Anyhow, Xubuntu has solved all my non-configurability woes so, that's where I plan to call home for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by bug67; February 19th, 2014 at 07:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@bug67: what i do, is put all my favorites and most used apps on the Unity Launcher (dock) for quick 1 click access and use the "dash search" only to locate things i don't use often (like the terminal for example or the package manager)...Used like that, it's pretty simple and straight forward to use...

And i autohide the launcher of course, and for my 17" laptop screen reduce the pixel size of the icons to 38 pixels...makes it much easier and faster to scan through my apps on the launcher...
    I agree that it would be nice to have the option of moving the launcher to the bottom, although i am fine with it as it is...

Interesting thing is my friend who has a Mac moved his Mac dock to the left side like Unity is located...i asked him why? he said: it makes more sense to have it over there...
    Last edited by craig10x; February 19th, 2014 at 07:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

craig10x, Yes, I know how to add and remove my most frequent stuff to the Unity launcher. I know how to use Unity, I just don't particularly like to. This is why I gravitated to Xubuntu (xfce). It reminded me of my Mac. And, in my opinion, nothing belongs on the left side of the screen.

As you can see from the screen shots, the similarities between my Mac OS and LinuxMint xfce (running in VB. I have Xubuntu on my machines at home. But, you get the picture) are striking:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
    in my opinion, nothing belongs on the left side of the screen.
    Except cluttered menus
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Hey, I resemble that remark!

At least I can find everything without endless clicking and filtering and typing and...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    There used to be a setting in Compiz Configuration Settings Manager (CCSM) that was supposed to move the Launcher to a different screen edge but it did not work and was never made to work.

Compiz is the window manager/compositor that is presently used in Ubuntu. Unity is a plugin to Compiz but things are changing. Between the release of Ubuntu 14.04 and the release of Ubuntu 15.04 Ubuntu will have a new compositor called Mir. It will replace XServer, LightDM and Compiz. It is not yet known what kind of special effects will be available under Mir. Special effects will no doubt depend on community developers doing the work.

Moving the Launcher to another screen edge does not comply with the design decisions being made for Ubuntu. Under the proposed convergence strategy those other screen edges will be used by the Ubuntu Touch applications that will then be available for use on the Ubuntu desktop platform.

Lets us accept the fact that Ubuntu was never intended to be a distribution for those who want to be able to endlessly customise the desktop. Limited customisation is a fact of life with Ubuntu. And many people are happy with Ubuntu being like that. I am.

Regards.

Wait what?

You are confusing the current "you will like what we give you" attitude of Canonical with some overarching philosophy of Ubuntu in general. .

"Limited customization is a fact of life with Ubuntu."

I recall hearing or being exposed to no such addage throughout my former years with Ubuntu.
    Stop Trusted Computing! http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
    Asus Rampage 2 Extreme/2.66GHz i7 Quad/6GB DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24/2x Nvidia 9800GTX+
    2x150GB 10krpm HD/2x1TB 7200RPM HD/3ware RAID/
    Xubuntu 11.04/Arch Linux/Gentoo Linux/Fedora

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast