Thread: HP Mini 110 Netbook

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

HP Mini 110 Netbook

Wondering if the new 13.10 would work on my computer i have a netbook so dont know if its just too much for it. Also i know when i installed my Fedora 19 i had to go find some crazy repository to find my wireless driver *broadcom driver* would that be the same issue with 13.10.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: HP Mini 110 Netbook

I have a HP Mini 110, although it may not be identical to yours since there are many variants. It has a Broadcom BCM4313 wireless device which works out of the box with the default open source driver in all the versions of Ubuntu I have tried it with. However, there are several different Broadcom wireless devices, some of which work with the open source driver and for some you have to install one of the non-free drivers. Here is a useful wiki page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Driver/bcm43xx

The best thing would be to run Ubuntu from a live USB and see if the wireless works and, if not, use the instructions in that page to identify the wireless chip.

As far as "too much for it" - no. I've had several versions of Unity running on it, although I haven't tried 13.10 yet. You'll see some people saying that the Unity desktop is too heavy for a machine like the HP Mini, but I think they're being a tad pessimistic. In my experience it was a little slow but usable, and that was with only 1 GB RAM. Nevertheless, you might want to consider a lighter variant such as Xubuntu with Xfce or Lubuntu with Lxde.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

yeah i hear that alot about the mini's is that there too slow for everyone but im good with it. and thanks for the answer i will have to look at the help file you sent and see what broadcom i have for sure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I am currently running Lubuntu 13.10 on my HP Mini 110-1100. I am amazed at how responsive it is. My wireless is a Broadcom 4312 low pwer type. Had to fudge around a bit but it works nicely. i had also installed an extra gig of ram in it bringing it up to 2 gig, Something i had done when i ran win 7 on it. It seems it never approaches using 1 gig let alone 2. Some Youtube vids tend to be a little choppy at time but bearable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Markg55 how hard was it to change out your RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

That was done about 3 years ago. Right after i purchased it. I don't believe it was that difficult. This video is for the Compaq variant which I believe is the same aas the HP. http://youtu.be/0bwb_zT-_7g
    Reality is for people who cannot handle Bourbon!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

kde also has netbook plasma interface. should run well on netbooks. but i guess it's not for everyone.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

cool thanks
    ***Cake or Death***