Thread: Help getting started in x86 assembly (or x86_64)

Beans

Help getting started in x86 assembly (or x86_64)

Hi, I was thinking of learning assembly language for x86 processors. I have a few questions, though, that I can't seem to find on Google. What kind of knowledge/tools do I need for this? Also, through a few google searches, I learned that the x86_64 instruction set is just an extension of the x86 set. Does that mean the code designed for x86 machines will work on x86_64? Lastly, is there any difference at all between amd64 and x86_64?

EDIT: Also, is there a particular assembler I should use? I was planning to use GNU binutils as, but I also stumbled upon NASM and I don't know if there are any differences.
    Last edited by spencer the great; January 24th, 2014 at 06:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Help getting started in x86 assembly (or x86_64)

Study this book.

But to answer your questions...

Quote Originally Posted by spencer the great View Post
    What kind of knowledge
    See above.

tools
    A text editor, an assembler and probably a compiler/linker as well. Just install build-essential, binutils, and your favourite text editor and assembler.

I learned that the x86_64 instruction set is just an extension of the x86 set. Does that mean the code designed for x86 machines will work on x86_64?
    Yes, although in some cases if you have a 64 bit OS, you need to install additional software to run 32 bit code. This is a limitation of the OS, not of the CPU.

Lastly, is there any difference at all between amd64 and x86_64?
    No, in most cases they are just different names for the same thing.

EDIT: Also, is there a particular assembler I should use? I was planning to use GNU binutils as, but I also stumbled upon NASM and I don't know if there are any differences.
    Picking an assembler, just like picking a desktop environment or a text editor, is a matter of personal preference. GNU as and NASM/YASM basically just use different syntaxes to do the same thing.
    Last edited by Bachstelze; January 24th, 2014 at 10:41 AM.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In addition to Bachstelze's answer: the more familiar you are with binary & hex notation, and bitwise manipulations the better. And you'll need a debugger. I rarely use debuggers for high-level languages but for ASM it's quite unavoidable, adding print statements in the code being rather cumbersome and having side effects (register usage...).
    Warning: unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

You might like
    http://gcc.godbolt.org/
    I lets you see the assembly output from C source. (you might want to add -masm=intel to the compiler options to see x86)