Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: request old PC or Laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: request old PC or Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by RadicaX View Post
    There is also the issue of a power converter, since from my understanding, most countries use DC for electricity, but here in the US we use AC.
    All countries use AC, else a converter / adaptor would not work in the first place, but USA uses 115 V 60 Hz and Europe 230 V 50 Hz. I don't know about India.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have an old mainboard with an amd processor 700mhz that you can have for just the shipping costs( I'm in England) but 1- You need to send the shipping costs to a moderator on these forums to hold first before I send it(That's if the mod will hold the money at all) I can take bitcoins or litecoins. 2- Its old, the same power as a raspberry pi which I suggest you get instead of this thing. If you have the components from an old pc, power supply, keyboard, mouse, monitor(maybe a problem as the pi only has hdmi and composite video connectors) rigging up a pi is straight forward. Anyway the choice is yours

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    All countries use AC, else a converter / adaptor would not work in the first place, but USA uses 115 V 60 Hz and Europe 230 V 50 Hz. I don't know about India.
    Odd, I was told otherwise once, I should of been more careful and checked into that, thank you for pointing it out.

OP I sent a link to your inbox to the Raspberry Pi site, and where to buy it in india, but if you can not see it in there, I will be glad to link here on these post too. Either way, I truly do hope you get a computer up and running.
    Proverbs 14:15

The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

@ Raja,

Have you taken a look at the second hand components market near you?

In Naza market, near Basant Cinema - Lalbagh, Lucknow (U.P.), there are second hand Desktop parts shops that offer roughly following prices -

CPU Rs. 400/- (P4) Rs. 600/- (Dual Core)
    Repaired supporting Motherboard Rs. 800/- Rs. 800/-
    Supporting DDR2 RAM Rs. 400/- (upto 512 MB) Rs. 800/- (1 GB)
    SMPS (NEW, cheapest ones) Rs. 350/- approx. Rs. 350/- approx.

The above mentioned parts (except SMPS, which comes with a 1 yr warranty) are sold with a guarantee of 3 to 6 months by shopkeeper and they honestly bear this guarantee (repaired motherboard can be a real pain sometimes, but it works).

So that amounts to about Rs. 2550/- in total for a dual core set, or Rs. 1950/- for a P4 set (approx US$ 40 or 30). And if you could use your old parts (including RAM, SMPS), it is just about a Rs. 1400/- deal at most for both MoBo + CPU (you may be able to get the repaired Motherboard cheaper). You will spend more than that in a return trip to Lucknow (assuming you are in Kerela or somewhere close) if you have to come to Lucknow to buy them. But I am sure you should have such markets near your place, just ask a few retailers, local repair guys.

If you could mention the exact parts you need (with required specs to match your remaining parts), I may be able to give you exact prices with a few contact nos. of shopkeepers who can supply them. But my personal recommendation is - if you are to get second hand parts, buy them from someone who you can easily reach in case of issues. Or maybe Ebay is the best choice, which all of us can look up for you if you know exactly which parts you need.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    @ Raja,

Have you taken a look at the second hand components market near you?

In Naza market, near Basant Cinema - Lalbagh, Lucknow (U.P.), there are second hand Desktop parts shops that offer roughly following prices -

The above mentioned parts (except SMPS, which comes with a 1 yr warranty) are sold with a guarantee of 3 to 6 months by shopkeeper and they honestly bear this guarantee (repaired motherboard can be a real pain sometimes, but it works).

So that amounts to about Rs. 2550/- in total for a dual core set, or Rs. 1950/- for a P4 set (approx US$ 40 or 30). And if you could use your old parts (including RAM, SMPS), it is just about a Rs. 1400/- deal at most for both MoBo + CPU (you may be able to get the repaired Motherboard cheaper). You will spend more than that in a return trip to Lucknow (assuming you are in Kerela or somewhere close) if you have to come to Lucknow to buy them. But I am sure you should have such markets near your place, just ask a few retailers, local repair guys.

If you could mention the exact parts you need (with required specs to match your remaining parts), I may be able to give you exact prices with a few contact nos. of shopkeepers who can supply them. But my personal recommendation is - if you are to get second hand parts, buy them from someone who you can easily reach in case of issues. Or maybe Ebay is the best choice, which all of us can look up for you if you know exactly which parts you need.
    +1

I think this is excellent advice

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    @ Raja, Have you taken a look at the second hand components market near you? In Naza market, near Basant Cinema - Lalbagh, Lucknow (U.P.), there are second hand Desktop parts shops that offer roughly following prices -
    The above mentioned parts (except SMPS, which comes with a 1 yr warranty) are sold with a guarantee of 3 to 6 months by shopkeeper and they honestly bear this guarantee (repaired motherboard can be a real pain sometimes, but it works). So that amounts to about Rs. 2550/- in total for a dual core set, or Rs. 1950/- for a P4 set (approx US$ 40 or 30). And if you could use your old parts (including RAM, SMPS), it is just about a Rs. 1400/- deal at most for both MoBo + CPU (you may be able to get the repaired Motherboard cheaper). You will spend more than that in a return trip to Lucknow (assuming you are in Kerela or somewhere close) if you have to come to Lucknow to buy them. But I am sure you should have such markets near your place, just ask a few retailers, local repair guys. If you could mention the exact parts you need (with required specs to match your remaining parts), I may be able to give you exact prices with a few contact nos. of shopkeepers who can supply them. But my personal recommendation is - if you are to get second hand parts, buy them from someone who you can easily reach in case of issues. Or maybe Ebay is the best choice, which all of us can look up for you if you know exactly which parts you need.
    Awesome!! Have all I need. Where I can get all these things ?
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by raja.genupula View Post
    Awesome!! Have all I need. Where I can get all these things ?
    In a 2nd hand parts market Near you, or in Naza market, Lucknow (Naza market, near Basant Cinema - Lalbagh, Lucknow (U.P.)). I assume Lucknow is too far from your location and too much trouble for such parts. Just ask some of your local repair guys, they should be able to provide these parts themselves (with their own guaranty/warranty on them) or give you addresses of nearby locations where you may find them.

I could personally arrange these parts to be sent to you through courier (I'm not in Lucknow, but know a few people who visit there weekly), but -

1) The added cost of courier would make them much more costlier, and more importantly -
    2) You won't know who to approach (nor would the sending guys remember) in case you needed to claim any guaranty/warranty, and lastly -
    3) Even if I make sure to send you addresses of each shop (could be more than one) along with parts, visiting them would be costlier to you than the cost of part itself.

Hence why you should try to find a market or individuals near you who you can easily approach. The costs of the parts should be same, possibly even lower, in all such markets where the selling/repairing business is being done at bulk levels.

A word of caution for such markets - make sure to make them test the parts in front of you (they have arrangements) before paying for them. 20-50 Rs. more for tested parts is better than cheaper but untested ones. A round trip would cost you more time and money.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

where are you based?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123