Thread: Unable to access PPTP server's external IP

Beans

Unable to access PPTP server's external IP

Hi, I consider myself a newbie, and I am not good at explaining my problem. Sorry in advance.

I have an Apache development server (ex: 143.72.250.1 | dev.example.com ) setup at work that is used only for internal dev purpose. I have UFW setup to only allow access from 143.72.0.0/16 to port 80. So that all workstation within this class B network can access it. It works well.

Now, I wish to access from the outside "securely". Since I only have one server, I installed PPTPd on 143.72.250.1. I have opened port 1723 to the world. It uses NAT and has an internal IP of 10.99.99.99. I have no problem getting internet access through PPTP or accessing OTHER servers that is blocked to the outside network through PPTP.

However, I cannot access the development server itself via its external IP or hostname, only via the internal IP (10.99.99.99) assigned by the PPTP NAT.

Example:
    143.72.250.1 - Apache Dev Server, PPTP Server. Only allow access from the subnet. PPTP port open to the world.
    143.72.250.2 - Other Server. Only allow access from the subnet.

My Macbook, located outside of the network, have no problem accessing 250.2 through PPTP. However, when I try to access 250.1, it tries to go the regular, non VPN, route (verified with traceroute). Of course, in the regular route, it gets blocked by the Firewall on 250.1.

I could get it work by editing the hosts file on my Macbook so dev.example.com always point to the internal IP (10.99.99.99). But the means when I bring my laptop to work, I have to either remove that line on the host file or always connect through PPTP.

What did I miss? Is it a UFW problem? NAT problem? PPTP problem? or problem with the setup on my laptop?

I setup pptpd following the instruction from this site: http://silverlinux.blogspot.ca/2012/...204-pptpd.html

THANK YOU!
    Last edited by Eric_Leung; January 21st, 2014 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Change topic description

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Unable to access PPTP server's external IP

Dump PPTP and use SSH instead. It's orders of magnitude more secure. If you really do need to set up a tunnel with the server and not simply run a terminal session, then use OpenVPN with static keys.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users