Thread: Block website

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Block website

Hi there

I'm looking to block some specific websites and wondered if there is a way to do this at a system level, such as the host file?

I looked at extensions on both Firefox and Chrome but the one I was using has been shown to be a horrible tracker piece of crap - http://discuss.howtogeek.com/t/warni...g-on-you/12394

My router doesn't have the ability to blacklist sites so I'm hoping I can do soemthing on the host file?

In the etc folder, I can see files called hosts, hosts.allow and hosts.deny, if that helps. I'm guessing the last one might be the one I need!

Is it just a case of adding the website(s) to that file without a # in front of it?

Thanks as always
    Dave
    AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Quad Core @ 3.6GHz, NVidia GT430, Asus M5A78L-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Western Digital Green 1TB SATA2 hard-drive

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Block website

/etc/hosts is the one. It's a lookup from IP address to a list of names (separated by spaces or tabs). You can block named hosts (not URLs but the basic host) by referring them to 255.0.0.0 like this:
    Code:
    0.0.0.1 blockme.com
    Edit: After a bit of trial and error, 0.0.0.1 seems a good address to refer to.
    And IP address before name.
    Last edited by The Cog; January 20th, 2014 at 11:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks The Cog, I tried that but it didn't work. I might be entering the code wrong.

Say I wanted to block http://www.bbc.co.uk. Using a reverse IP address look up website, I can find it's IP address is 212.58.246.90

So would the line to add to the hosts file be:

Code:
    0.0.0.1 212.58.246.90 bbc.co.uk
    Thanks again
    Dave
    AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Quad Core @ 3.6GHz, NVidia GT430, Asus M5A78L-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Western Digital Green 1TB SATA2 hard-drive

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

No, it would be:
    Code:
    0.0.0.1 www.bbc.co.uk
    or to block both www.bbc.co.uk and the parent bbc.co.uk:
    Code:
    0.0.0.1 www.bbc.co.uk bbc.co.uk
    The idea is to deliberately give the wrong IP address for the blocked host name, so the browser cannot connect to it. 0.0.0.1 seems to work nicely as it gives a very quick error to the browser.

Other people sometimes use 127.0.0.1 which gets the browser to try to connect to the local PC. The local PC will generally refuse the connection because it isn't running a web server. But of course, you might be running a web server, and even if not, 0.0.0.1 will fail quicker because it doesn't even try to connect.
    Last edited by The Cog; January 21st, 2014 at 12:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Host files work well if you can control all the PCs using your network and can ensure you have changed the hosts files on all of them. If the users have admin privileges, they can thwart your efforts by changing the host files themselves.

Other alternatives are to use iptables to write firewalling rules that block traffic at the router, or to use a proxy like Squid that lets you write more complex blocking rules based on URLs, IP addresses, domains or file types. In both cases you would need to put a Linux box between the local network and the public Internet.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users