Thread: rsyslog strange problem

Beans

rsyslog strange problem

1st of all I apologize: I'm running Fedora (F19) - but I saw a lot of helpful answers about rsyslog on this forum and I come here hat in hand for some guidance...

I am tired of seeing my /var/log/messages full of info coming from avahi-daemon: stuff like:
    Code:
    Jan 21 14:13:42 localhost avahi-daemon[554]: Invalid response packet from host 10.10.22.3.
    from my local network

...so I thought about disabling the reporting modifying /etc/rsyslog.conf.

I modified this line:
    Code:
    *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none   /var/log/messages
    to this line
    Code:
    *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none;avahi-daemon.none   /var/log/messages
    but with the new line rsyslog seems not working: systemctl restart rsyslog reports it as running, but nothing gets ever written in messages

There is some problem in the way I modified that line?

thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: rsyslog strange problem

My understanding is that rsyslog normally sends messages to /var/log/syslog of the host (receiving) system. /var/log/messages are probably locally-generated. Perhaps configure avahi-daemon to ignore the IP address.
    Last edited by tgalati4; January 21st, 2014 at 04:28 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Syslog messages are routed by "facilities." I suspect avahi-daemon just uses the daemon facility. Changing the settings for that would also change where other daemons are logged.

If avahi-daemon allows you to change the facility, you can set it to use one of the seven user-defined "local" facilities and route traffic for that to a separate log file or /dev/null in rsyslog.conf.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

thank for your help, I'll look for details about avahi-daemon.
    Anyway you don't find any problem in my rsyslog.conf line? Because in any case I find it strange that rsyslog stops working

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    My understanding is that rsyslog normally sends messages to /var/log/syslog of the host (receiving) system. /var/log/messages are probably locally-generated.
    He's running Fedora. RedHat-flavored distros use /var/log/messages as the destination for log entries that would be written to /var/log/syslog on Debian-flavored systems like Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by alzyx View Post
    thank for your help, I'll look for details about avahi-daemon.
    Anyway you don't find any problem in my rsyslog.conf line? Because in any case I find it strange that rsyslog stops working
    Are you saying that nothing is now being written to /var/log/messages? Are you running other daemons on this box? On my CentOS servers, /var/log/messages contains entries from daemon services like xinetd, clamd, openvpn and named. On desktop machines there shouldn't be very many processes that write to this log file.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Are you saying that nothing is now being written to /var/log/messages? Are you running other daemons on this box? On my CentOS servers, /var/log/messages contains entries from daemon services like xinetd, clamd, openvpn and named. On desktop machines there shouldn't be very many processes that write to this log file.
    exactly - nothing is written anymore and I'm sure rsyslog is stuck in some way. Though it is reported as running, if I stop&restart some process (e.g. systemctl restart cups) nothing gets reported.
    If I restore the rsyslog.conf file, the restart of cups gets reported.

So in some way that apparently harmless line is not so harmless after all!

Beans

ok, so I discovered that rsyslog's syntax is rather complex, but some help can be found at http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/rsyslog_conf_filter.html and http://www.rsyslog.com/tag/some-core-recipies/
    So if you want to filter out and not log a message from a service named avahi-daemon, insert this line (before the line *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none /var/log/messages)
    :syslogtag, contains, "avahi-daemon" ~

or, to filter out a message containing the string xxx:
    :msg, contains, "xxx" ~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for sharing those helpful links.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by alzyx View Post
    I'm running Fedora - [...] and I come here hat in hand ...
    lol.

I modified this line:
    to this line
    Code:
    *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none;avahi-daemon.none   /var/log/messages
    change it back to what it was;
    mail, authpriv,cron, ... in that line are syslog facilities, not names of daemons/processes. By adding "avahi-daemon" (not a facility label) you've created an invalid config - that's probably the reason your logging stopped working.

as for filtering whit rsyslog : the link provided by alzyx is a good starting place, rsyslog has quite powerful filtering mechanisms.
    however, it's probably best to first see if you can reduce or turn of avahi logging. For most services the log-level is configurable, but I don't know how that is for avahi.