Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows phones any good?

Beans

Re: Windows phones any good?

I also thought that wifi tethering would be the easy part, and USB tethering to an Ubuntu computer would be the hard part! Pretty sure Windows phones do have turn-by-turn, due to Nokia Maps and probably Bing Maps or something like that

Beans

windows phone OS is OK, but quite restricted and uncustomizable - so as to avoid bugs and errors - and some basic features are not quite there yet. android is definitely more developed.

the big up side is you can often obtain better hardware for your money, with a windows phone - faster processors etc - because they are selling them off at low prices to gain market share. see www.versus.com to compare phone hardware
    Last edited by fkkroundabout; July 16th, 2014 at 12:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

yeah...but android is tooooo ugly. Even galaxy touchwiz can not cover the ugliness. Windows phone is quite pretty. It's not bad for normal consumers who want mail, camera, and facebook.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've recently gotten a Windows 8 Phone (Nokia Lumia 520) for use as a portable player since the mp3 player market is very limited these days. There aren't very many good free apps, a Microsoft account is required to install apps, and some apps I want require Windows 8.1 which isn't available yet to install as an update (and may or may not be made available depending on the phone, I believe for mine it will be). I don't mind the whole tiles start screen thing as much on the phone (kinda like it), but it drives me crazy on my desktop.

I've never used android, but compared iOS on my ipod touch Windows 8 Phone looses because it doesn't come out of box with a decent music application, or video application just their silly Xbox music/video stuff.
    "Will you beeeeeee my friend and my dreeeeeeeeeeeam?" - Soley

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jeehyun View Post
    yeah...but android is tooooo ugly. Even galaxy touchwiz can not cover the ugliness. Windows phone is quite pretty. It's not bad for normal consumers who want mail, camera, and facebook.
    Sorry, can't agree. The big solid colours and non-rounded flat rectangles on Windows Phone make it extremely ugly to me - and probably to most consumers. Some animations are reasonably nice and sometimes the typography-focused design is attractive, but in general I find the icons to be horrible and the flat colours make me want to look away.

Stock Android is not perfectly beautiful, but the most ugly parts of Holo are the parts that mimic Windows Phone's solid colours and flat rectangles.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12