Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: File Sharing with Multimedia Devices

Beans

File Sharing with Multimedia Devices

I did a search, but I really didn't find any of the information I was looking for. I was kind of hoping to use my Ubuntu computer as a multimedia hub, and I wanted to know if that was realistically possible. I have several WD Live boxes in the house, and i have had luck accessing files using samba. However, I can only access files on the computer hard drive, and I would really like to access the files on the external drive. Not sure if that's possible or not. I also recently blew a lot of money on a super cool Samsung 5500 series Smart TV. That has not worked at all. Samsung directs you to download proprietary software to your computer in order to access files. Is there an open source alternative to the proprietary software? Can I use this computer to act as a hub, or do I need to continue to lug hard drives around the house?

Kurt

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: File Sharing with Multimedia Devices

I have an older desktop that was given to me and I know it's a dual core intel processor, 512MB RAM, and came with a single 320GB drive. I have installed another HDD along with my external drive and use Samba to share files to all three drives.

I use Ubuntu Server 13.10 with no GUI, just terminal, and it works wonders! You don't have to use a server just to use Samba, but I'm also using apache, torrent, trying to get a PXE boot server, and a few other things but Samba will work with the desktop versions of Ubuntu.

I will walk you through the set up if you are interested...

Chris
    "Ignorance is short-lived, and knowledge is forever."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Use DLNA.

Beans

Thank you for your replies.

Kurt

Beans

I found something on the software center by Rytek called "dlna"? Is that what you are talking about? If not, what is the package info for dlna. I assume it's something like "sudo apt-get install XXXXX" Something like that.

When I go to my Windows Network share, I am unable to mount my external hard drive. Not sure why. I'm getting closer, but it's just not working. It just gives me an error code "Failed to Mount." What do I need to do to fix this?

Kurt

Beans

Chris, sorry for not responding to your post. I would prefer to not switch to 13.10. I also use this computer as a computer, not just a server, so the GUI is a necessity. I think I really need to just figure out how to get this External Drive to Samba share. If I can do that then the WD Live box will work. That's half of it right there. I'm trying to see if this DLNA is a reasonable substitute for Samsucks proprietary software.

Kurt
    Last edited by revhead347; January 21st, 2014 at 06:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Many devices support the DLNA protocol including the PS3 and smart TVs. You can install ps3mediaserver on your PC to interconnect with DLNA-enabled devices. It re-encodes files on-the-fly into a format compatible with the media device.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You don't have to use the server to use Samba, nor 13.10, but I configure Samba through the terminal so I don't know how to set it up in the GUI but it's super easy to get it up and running through the terminal.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Do you have a DLNA server though? If you have devices that are DLNA compatibly, but not the server, then I don't believe that you can use DLNA.

Beans

It's back to the very steep learning curve for me here. Let's start with something basic. Can anyone walk me through setting up Samba using the terminal so that it will Windows Share files on my external hard drive?

I do not have a DLNA server. I do have xmbc on the computer.

Kurt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast