Thread: encoding video to specified file size

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

encoding video to specified file size

It's been a while since I've worked with video, now I have a couple old tapes to digitize... It's going fine, but when exporting I can't find a way to export to a specified file size; I used to use a program (can't remember what it was) where I could specify a maximum file size and the encoder adjusted accordingly, so I could be sure to get files that will fit on my target media. How could I achieve this, can anyone tell?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: encoding video to specified file size

What format do you need? That makes a huge difference in file size and the resulting playback quality. A 700MB mpeg2 file will suck in quality compared to a 700MB xvid/avi or h.264/mp4 file.

mencoder
    ffmpeg
    avconv
    avidemux

I think all those tools will do that.
    Last edited by TheFu; January 21st, 2014 at 06:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't know if you can constrain the file sizes for all output formats, but you can do it with mencoder if you are encoding to AVI, usually with Xvid as the codec, and two-pass encoding. Specifying a negative value for the bitrate on the second pass tells mencoder to treat that value as the maximum file size. It will then calculate the bitrate necessary to match that requirement. Since you are encoding from tapes, Xvid in AVI will certainly provide sufficient video quality.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

See the two-pass encoding example at the FFmpeg and x264 Encoding Guide.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 16.04 Xenial Xerus

How are you digitizing? I have used Kino over a firewire, it can export to a number of digital formats.