Thread: what ubunutu to use

Beans

what ubunutu to use

I have a laptop with a celron processor and I gig of memory. I had ubunutu for years. I have not upgrated it for 60 days. When i did , it did not work at all. what is the best version of ubunutu for this laptop. It is about 6 years old. I tried the latest version and when I put the dvd on it said that the processor would not handle it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: what ubunutu to use

The long-term support version (12.04.x) might work for you, since it dates from 2012.

You could also try the "light" versions, Lubuntu or Xubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You need a lightweight Linux on that machine. Try Xubuntu or Lubuntu..
    You can also try Bodhi-Linux (which is based on Ubuntu LTS).
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

I'm using Lubuntu on an 4 year old netbook and it's simply amazing. So that would be my top suggestion.
    Peppermint OS
    is just as good with some nice XFCE compositing mixed into LXDE. I find it a little more efficient for my workflow, it has a lot of features for brining in web based applications.

Ubuntu Studio (based on Xubuntu. Go with the 12.04 LTS version if 13.10 doesn't play nice.)
    If you don't want or need a ton of AV software preinstalled I'd go with Xubuntu.

Beans

If you have a USB stick or two you can try all the versions and flavors live and choose for yourself what works for you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

the processor would not handle it
    I am curious as to why you got that message. Could you give more information about that Celeron CPU? Is it a 32bit CPU? Is it non-pae? Was this the message?

kernel requires features not present on the CPU: PAE
    if that was the message, then this might help

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PAE

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

My computer is quite old, a hand-me-down sent to me instead of the landfill. Xubuntu 12.04 ran kinda okay on it, and I absolutely love that beautiful desktop!

But Xubuntu is not intended for old computers! According to their Strategy Document:

Xubuntu does not explicitly target users with low, modest, or high powered machines but instead targets the entire spectrum. Xubuntu's extra responsiveness and speed, among other positive traits, can be appreciated by all users, regardless of their hardware.
    I've read that it used to be "the lightweight flavor" of Ubuntu, but it's no longer intended to be for old machines. Lubuntu on the other hand is specifically described as intended and designed for older hardware.

So just today I installed it for the first time and all I have to say is WOW. It's sweet and fast so far, and only thing it lacks is a weather applet for the panel. And the clock is digital-only. But I found a workaroound already for the clock thing using gdesklets (download it using Synaptic). Maybe there's a weather desklet too, I'm still exploring. For that matter, you can use the awesome Xfce panel in Lubuntu if you want.

But I would go with an Ubuntu that is made for older hardware instead of trying to make your older hardware run something that would be sluggish on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

elementary OS may be a good one to check out. It's sleek, fast, and IIRC the memory requirements were not that high.
    Dell XP 8700 - Windows 10 64-bit Fast Ring - i7 4790 8GB 1GB 250GB SSD 1TB HDD
    HP Stream 13 - elementary Loki 64-bit
    HP Envy M6 - Windows 10 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I have a laptop with Pentium M 1.5ghz 1gb ram and using lubuntu 13.10 with fluxbox ... I'm so happy with its performance. My laptop is an old IBM X41 tablet
    Last edited by jp734; January 19th, 2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Giving more detail