Thread: Dash not working after distribution upgrade (through sources.list)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Dash not working after distribution upgrade (through sources.list)

Ok, I made the "big step" and I upgraded from Ubuntu 13.04 to 14.04 directly through /etc/apt/sources.list file. Big upgrade procedure here as I have too many packages in this installation (dev packages and 5 different DEs= Unity,GNOME,Lubuntu-desktop,Cairo-Dock,KDE).

Here is a log file for anyone who wants to see → http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=kakRAier

Now, the only significant problem here is the Dash from Unity DE. Does not contain any lenses and the search function doesn't work , neither local or Web.

What I have tried is

1) Reset Unity(with the known commands) and revert to original configuration settings with
    Code:
    rm -rf .compiz* .gconf* .config/dconf/ .config/compiz*
    2) Reinstall unity and related unity-lens packages.

Do you have any other suggestions ?

Tip that might help, during the upgrade I had multiple questions about several configuration files , but I selected the default option which is N(o), that is, "do not replace the config file with the newer one, but keep the old".
    Last edited by NikTh; January 17th, 2014 at 08:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Dash not working after distribution upgrade (through sources.list)

Quote Originally Posted by NikTh View Post
    Tip that might help, during the upgrade I had multiple questions about several configuration files , but I selected the default option which is N(o), that is, "do not replace the config file with the newer one, but keep the old".
    That might be the source of the problem. There were new unity packages installed and old replaced. I think that it's better to replace old configs.

Anyway the first thing that I would try is to reset unity with unity-tweak-tool.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/17610...-configuration

Code:
    sudo apt-get install unity-tweak-tool
    unity-tweak-tool --reset-unity
    If that didn't help then try reinstalling unity-scope-home.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall unity-scope-home
    Next in line of usual Dash is not working solutions are:

Code:
    rm ~/.cache/software-center -R
    unity-tweak-tool --reset-unity
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/.local/share/zeitgeist
    Then logout and login back.

Also you could look at the contents of your ~/.xsession-errors for some insight what's crashing.

Some people also used this:

Code:
    sudo updatedb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by NikTh View Post
    Ok, I made the "big step" and I upgraded from Ubuntu 13.04 to 14.04 directly through /etc/apt/sources.list file. Big upgrade procedure here as I have too many packages in this installation (dev packages and 5 different DEs= Unity,GNOME,Lubuntu-desktop,Cairo-Dock,KDE).

Here is a log file for anyone who wants to see → http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=kakRAier

Now, the only significant problem here is the Dash from Unity DE. Does not contain any lenses and the search function doesn't work , neither local or Web.

What I have tried is

1) Reset Unity(with the known commands) and revert to original configuration settings with
    Code:
    rm -rf .compiz* .gconf* .config/dconf/ .config/compiz*
    2) Reinstall unity and related unity-lens packages.

Do you have any other suggestions ?

With all those DEs it could be something in your lightdm.conf file that is not jibing and on a few occasions I would choose 'yes' when prompted to change config files with no ill effects.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Ok, that was easy enough.. haha

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall unity-scope-home #this also pulled some other two packages
    everything is up and running again