Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to "Buy" a game listed at $0.00?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How to "Buy" a game listed at $0.00?

I have several games I'd like to play that appear to be free ($0.00), but the only button is one marked "Buy" - which leads me into the "pay server". How does one go about getting these games if they are free?

Bill
    Been in computers since 1962; Windows computers almost gone now. Only 1 gaming machine left.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to "Buy" a game listed at $0.00?

are you talking within steam or where?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by WB0HYQ View Post
    I have several games I'd like to play that appear to be free ($0.00), but the only button is one marked "Buy" - which leads me into the "pay server". How does one go about getting these games if they are free?

Bill
    Just keeping carrying on with paying for it - you'll pay nothing.

I did it once - just to check it out.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/968974

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@Elfy: I did as you say and, although I am uncomfortable pushing a "Buy" button and being transferred to a "pay server", it worked. I was astonished to see that it was over 140Mb in size (I didn't check that before). When it downloaded and I first ran it I got a huge banner screen telling me that this was just a demo and NOTHING would work unless I went to their web page and created an account. This I did NOT do and immediately uninstalled the game.

I think there should be some sort of warning in the initial blurb about the game that it is 'crippleware' before we waste bandwidth on downloading this deceptive software?

EDIT: I also agree with most of the comments on the bug report.

Bill
    Been in computers since 1962; Windows computers almost gone now. Only 1 gaming machine left.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

When it downloaded and I first ran it I got a huge banner screen telling me that this was just a demo and NOTHING would work unless I went to their web page and created an account. This I did NOT do and immediately uninstalled the game.
    I believe that you can comment within USC against things - though I'm not sure as I rarely use the software centre

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I thought about entering a comment, but everything I wanted to say was pretty much summed up by previous comments. I'm going to have to be a bit more selective about software before I "buy" it. LOL.

Bill

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I thought about entering a comment, but everything I wanted to say was pretty much summed up by previous comments. I'm going to have to be a bit more selective about software before I "buy" it. LOL.

Bill
    No - I meant at the Software Centre - not Launchpad, (I'd only ever tell someone to comment in a bug rather than just hit the +1 button if they had something to add.)

AS far as I know you can comment actually against whatever it was that was 140Mb - I'd have to assume that the dev(s) of that would be notified.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

What is that saying? Wasn't it 'if it looks too good to be true, it probably is?' ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    What is that saying? Wasn't it 'if it looks too good to be true, it probably is?' ...
    Not at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, the warning signs were there but I just didn't take more time to read them. If I had read the comments and made a note of how large the game was I would probably have not installed it. It is gone now and I'm going to see if I can get to the developer web site and enter a complaint on their rather deceptive practice. Live and learn - even at 71.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast