Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: ToriOS

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: ToriOS

Congratulations Israel Dahl and Hi all toriosadores,

Today's (May 24 2015) version of ToriOS-beta is a great improvement.

I tested it live and I installed it, this time into my old IBM Thinkpad T42 with a Pentium M CPU without a PAE flag.

The live session works - and the OBI works.

And the iso file is within CD size, 669 Mibibytes, so there is a margin to the limit 700 Mibibytes (or to be more exact, I think 703 Mibibytes) for growth due to upstream updates.

The installed system works - also nm-applet and my wifi. After installing some restricted-extra multimedia software, I could even
    listen to a youtube clip from last night's Eurovision Song Contest,

Code:
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted-extras
    The winning song or should I say performance

I have not tested everything, but I am very happy with the current version of ToriOS

Best regards
    Nio

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus
    Today's (May 24 2015) version of ToriOS-beta is a great improvement.
    +1

Israel Dahl is really focusing on this project, and the improvement is very big. Thanks to you too sudodus, for helping Israel Dahl improving ToriOS day-by-day!

Beans
    Hidden!

And thanks to you InterProg for your contributions, reporting bugs and suggesting improvements

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I feel super bad that my personal problems, real life, etc ... are blocking me to do anything useful to my own project :'(
    But, I do trust ToriOS team that I have spent lots of time, energy and efforts building it and it is as strong and solid as rock so I am not worried and if ToriOS will make it and release the 1st version, that is more than enough to be proud of this great team and what they have done so far. I think they have challenge the impossible to the very last bit of it. WELL DONE, ToriOS Team!

It's a pleasure and an honour to work with you and despite I feel bad for the lack of contributions, the smile that we shall draw on many faces is all what does really matter. So many people out there need ToriOS

Respect!

Beans
    Distro

More Features

Hi,

ToriOS has now more features and we're very very close to the final release
    We're not at 0.8 (AKA Beta) and once we test the new features and add some missing other features and fix some minor bugs, we'll be ready for 0.9 (AKA RC).

http://torios.net/more-new-features/

The more testers we get, the faster we release the first stable version

Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!

ToriOS beta tarball

There is a tarball with ToriOS (beta version) updated from the repositories yesterday (July 30, 2015).

ToriOS-pae-OEM_prec_use-by-OBI-in-trusty.tar.xz

This tarball was made with zmktbl in the One Button Installer, OBI, version 3.1, and it can be installed with the same version of the OBI. ToriOS is installed in OEM mode, and should work well in old and middle-aged computers. It is a 32-bit system and the installation method works in BIOS mode. Use another linux distro and other installation method to install in UEFI mode (for example a 64-bit version of an Ubuntu flavour and mkusb).

Edit:

ToriOS beta compressed image file

ToriOS can also be installed 'directly' with mkusb, for example into a pendrive of at least 8 GB from the following compressed image file

dd_ToriOS-LubuCore-pae-OEM_precise_7.8GB.img.xz

Both of these images (the tarball and the compressed image file) are made from an OEM system, where Lubuntu Core was installed in order to help the system for final installation (ubiquity) render the graphical user interface correctly. However, you should focus on ToriOS. (Do not use the Lubuntu session, because it has passed end of life and receives no security updates).

Edit 2:

I uploaded two screenshots: yes, your eyes are telling the truth - this system, based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS runs idle using only 79 MB RAM.

Edit 3:

I installed with mkusb from the compressed image file into my IBM Thinkpad with a Pentium M, that lacks a PAE flag. This particular ToriOS system comes with fake-pae and the 3.2.0-88-generic-pae kernel. See the third attached file and good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sudodus; July 31st, 2015 at 06:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi all,

This is to confirm that we shall 'stop' waiting for the newer versions of JWM. We shall 'now' focus on the minor bugs and missing features of ToriOS and, the team is dazzling me day after day. I, the founder of this project, did NOT imagine ToriOS will be like that, not even in my dreams so thanks a million for each and everyone who invested 1 second of his/her time on ToriOS.

To download the latest build, here is the link - the server was down lately but it is up and running now.

MD5SUM:
    Code:
    ee04ec76b61651db3ebd27791e75fb74  oldISO/ToriOS-2015-09-06-beta-precise.iso
    More information can be found here:
    http://phillw.net/isos/torios/

Our website:
    http://torios.net/

The old website:
    http://torios.org/
    is NO longer used unless the newer one (.net) is down.

I can't tell you 'when' we shall release ToriOS 1.0 but I can 'see' it coming.

The more 'you' test, the faster we release the 1st stable version

Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!

Which version should we test?

Code:
    ee04ec76b61651db3ebd27791e75fb74  ToriOS-2015-09-06-beta-precise.iso
    or
    Code:
    d71fe6e72c9265da7245fcfe52a4a82b  ToriOS-2015-09-10-beta-precise.iso

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Which version should we test?

Code:
    ee04ec76b61651db3ebd27791e75fb74  ToriOS-2015-09-06-beta-precise.iso
    or
    Code:
    d71fe6e72c9265da7245fcfe52a4a82b  ToriOS-2015-09-10-beta-precise.iso
    Hi, sorry for the late reply. I was AFK and just logged in.

Whenever it is QA/Testing, and whenever it is a daily build, we almost always test the 'latest' build:
    http://phillw.net/isos/torios/oldISO...ta-precise.iso

I didn't know there was a new one. When I posted here, it was ToriOS-2015-09-06-beta-precise.iso

So, please let's test the latest one, that is: 2015-09-10

Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!

ToriOS daily iso file, ToriOS OEM tarball and ToriOS OEM compressed image file

Try the new ultra-light distro ToriOS, based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and the window manager JWM. It uses only ~ 90 MB RAM or less, when running idle after booting (the RAM usage varies depending on the computer hardware). If you want to run ToriOS in old hardware with a weak processor and low amount of RAM, you need ultra-light application programs too. In a bit more powerful computer and with more RAM, it will be very fast, and you can use the standard linux application programs.

ToriOS is not yet released. It is still developed, so although it is quite debugged and polished by now, the daily iso file is still developed and there can be hiccups. The installed system is more stable than the live system with the installer. This is why there are alternatives that use different install methods. See the following link

ToriOS - ultra-light distro based on Ubuntu and the window manager JWM
    Last edited by sudodus; November 14th, 2015 at 08:42 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast