Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ToriOS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: ToriOS

Hi and thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    JWM is probably one of the lightest. If light & fast is the priority and the environment isn't intended for long-term use, it would be a good choice.
    We're still doing lots of testing and experiments. Once we review our findings, we then decide which WM/DE will be our default.

Just my opinion, but it seems like you really want to decide one way or the other. Otherwise you'll waste a lot of time trying to make a minimal environment useful and user-friendly.
    There is nothing as perfect and will never ever be. Also, you can't, no matter what, make everyone happy, no doubt about that.
    However, creating a balance is good idea and I do believe we can do it.

What is the lightest official flavour of Ubuntu as the world know it? the answer is Lubuntu, right?
    Lubuntu as of today doesn't support Non-PAE machines by default + it is not very very lightweight + despite it is beautiful and easy, some thing the otherwise and some thing it's not user-friendly (how I know? I've been a leader for Lubuntu for 2 years and I've read each and every feedback as I was in charge of all its social media channel).

ToriOS, if we shall go for Ubuntu as the base of our system, should be even lighter than Lubuntu and does support Non-PAE machines and also LTS (I know Lubuntu 14.04 supposed to be LTS - I did create a youtube video to promote that myself).

The idea is to provide a better option than Lubuntu for the machines that Lubuntu couldn't help.
    Also, give a simple system to the users as the base of what they will build themselves. We count on our skills for this. Our Wiki Team that I trust, I am sure they will provide all the needed steps to achieve that for those who don't know. By doing that, ToriOS will not longer be for expert of non-beginners but will be for everyone. Being easy or hard, that is subject to the users themselves to decide.

Let's see ... we are still at the very beginning

Here's a brainstorm, but howabout a piece of software that analyzes the CPU, RAM, and Video hardware and recommends a choice of DE's to the user? E.G., the program detects a Pentium 4 with 1 GB of RAM and intel hardware, so it offers LXDE or enlightenment as choices (with screenshots and some bullet points, of course).
    If there is something like that, please share

By developing your own WM, do you actually mean WM or DE? Seems like the world has enough window managers as it is. And what with X11 on the way out, it doesn't seem sensible to start developing a new one. Makes more sense to build up some kind of User Experience from existing parts and solidify it as the needs really gel (sort of like what's happening with Unity).
    I mean a Window Manager (WM). And, we're not re-inventing the wheel nor anything. Developing our own WM has nothing to do with ToriOS current Development. If you read the announcement, you will come to know that having our own WM is a Sub-Project that should never ever affect the main project, that is developing ToriOS and that is exactly why the team is doing tests and experiments
    New member joined us recently and he suggested that idea so I wanted to encourage him and allow him to prove himself. He has lots of experience as he said and works as Release Manager or something similar in Real Life. So, why not have something 'unique' for ToriOS? I see no harm with that. Some projects develop their own software as per their needs Not sure if I made it clear enough?

The target/plan now is to keep looking for the best WM for ToriOS while another sub-project is on going. Overkill and extra headache? no doubt but again, there is someone who is willing to do so.

That's a whole other can of worms, though I'm not surprised.
    I do like challenges a lot. That is why I am insisting to use Ubuntu as the base however, it is not a strict requirement. If for the best of the users and the project to go for Debian, so be it. But as long as we still can go deeper and deeper + we believe in our skills, I see no reason to give up now and just go for Debia without trying. I don't give up and will never will unless each and every possibility is a dead end.

Well, I sincerely wish you luck!
    Thank you, appreciate that
    Our team is growing bigger and new skilled people are asking to join. I am glad to see that and hope we could do something 'useful' and 'different'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

** Updates **

Hi,

ToriOS Logo has been decided:
    http://torios.org/news/the-winner-logo/

Time for ToriOS Website to go from Alpha to Beta:
    http://torios.org/news/website-feedback/

Thank you!

P.S.
    If you're interested to join, please let us know

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

** Updates **

1- ToriOS Website Development:
    http://torios.org/news/website-development/

2- Results of ToriOS Website Feedback:
    http://torios.org/news/results-of-website-feedback/

3- One of our developers will provide a downloadable ISO file for a pre-alpha build of ToriOS

4- ToriOS IRC Channel:
    http://torios.org/news/torios-irc-channel-on-freenode/

5- ToriOS Social Media Channels:
    http://torios.org/news/social-media-channels/

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

So will ToriOS (nice logo by the way) be based on Ubuntu? And what will be the system requirements for the first release?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Tar_Ni View Post
    So will ToriOS (nice logo by the way) be based on Ubuntu? And what will be the system requirements for the first release?
    Hi and thanks for posting

Thanks for the feedback, we had a long process until we chose the logo and glad you like it

Yes indeed, it should be based on Ubuntu. The idea of this project started as to create a lightweight of Lubuntu (which is already the lightweight version of Ubuntu) and then the idea has developed further. That leads to your next question

One of our team members achieved less than 50MB of RAM Usage the other day (but if truth to be told, he was playing with Debian). We haven't yet done any ISO because we're trying to go as far as we could. That said, whatever Lubuntu will fail to help, ToriOS should be the way to go.
    In other words, we do hope to go below 256MB of RAM and most importantly, ToriOS should support Non-PAE CPU. This is our highest priority.

One of my good friends and former QA Lead of Lubuntu is working on a Community Kernel that supports Non-PAE machines which should be available for everyone to use

ToriOS should be lighter than Lubuntu and has different path. It leaves the choice to the users to chose their own path with their system and to build it the way they like.

Hope that helps!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

And finally, some real fun is about to begin

http://torios.org/news/torios-development-preview/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Nice stuffs, can't wait to see some screenshots.

So, based on Ubuntu 12.04 will ToriOS 1 somehow be a LTS?

Anyway, I have a
    Dell EC280 Mini-ITX PC with
    1.2Ghz proc and 512MB RAM laying around. It's not that old actually, it was released in 2007 for basic taks with XP but really cannot handle much today with a standard OS and so would be considered ''useless'' by many. I am not sure Lubuntu would work well on it and Puppy Linux is such a pain to install for a newbie like me.

I am waiting for this ToriOS, a real alternative to Puppy and Lubuntu and that seems very interesting.
    Last edited by Tar_Ni; March 2nd, 2014 at 09:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Tar_Ni View Post
    Nice stuffs, can't wait to see some screenshots.
    Yes, me too

So, based on Ubuntu 12.04 will ToriOS 1 somehow be a LTS?
    Yes, we're interesting in an LTS release but whether it is based on 12.04 or not? some updates happened lately that we might (or might not) re-consider our options - see this, please.

There are some friends of mine I used to be with them on the same team (Lubuntu) are working on this issue (support for old machines) for sometime now. So, I was thinking to have a meeting with them to be up-to-date with what they're up to and see which option might help ToriOS instead of re-inventing the wheel.

I will keep everyone updated about what will happen, that is for sure.

Anyway, I have a
    Dell EC280 Mini-ITX PC with
    1.2Ghz proc and 512MB RAM laying around. It's not that old actually, it was released in 2007 for basic taks with XP but really cannot handle much today with a standard OS and so would be considered ''useless'' by many. I am not sure Lubuntu would work well on it and Puppy Linux is such a pain to install for a newbie like me
    With 512MB RAM, Lubuntu should be just fine on that machine.

I am waiting for this ToriOS, a real alternative to Puppy and Lubuntu and that seems very interesting.
    As for ToriOS, we're trying to creating something that should be even faster and more lightweight than Lubuntu. Also, support a wide range of old hardware as much as we can.

The challenge is whether to use a new kernel series or old one?

Phill for example, thinks it is better to use a new one.
    Me and some other think it is better to use an old one. Why? because some drivers and support for very old machines are not found on the newer kernels.

That is why, I need to have a meeting with my friends to find out what we could do next

As for ToriOS overall development, Real Life was the main reason why there is nothing happened yet.

A month ago or less, we were supposed to have an ISO to look at but not yet happened. I talked to Alex (ToriOS Developer) and he apologized for being so busy.

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi,

Nothing really new but thought to update with the latest news.

Sadly, not great news at all. However, I'm full of hope that this will be changed soon

Thank you!

Beans

Any news here?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast