Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'dd' command is taking more than 3 days to wipe 320GB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question 'dd' command is taking more than 3 days to wipe 320GB HDD

Hi,

I am using 'dd' command to wipe a 320GB HDD and write 0's using Lubuntu 13.10 LiveUSB.

It has been 'more' than 3 days now and there is absolutely no hope the process will finish any time soon. The machine does response to anything as far as I can tell but I don't want to do anything and waste the 3 days of waiting.

My Q is: is this normal? I have done this before (not with 320GB though) and it never took all these days so what do I have to do? suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: 'dd' command is taking more than 3 days to wipe 320GB HDD

Well a good start would be to tell us what command you used, if it uses /dev/random which is a popular one to totally blitz a hard drive then this will only work whilst you are using the machine because /dev/random generates entropy from mouse and keyboard input (and various other user controlled events) so if your doing nothing on the machine it can't continue.
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMark View Post
    Well a good start would be to tell us what command you used, if it uses /dev/random which is a popular one to totally blitz a hard drive then this will only work whilst you are using the machine because /dev/random generates entropy from mouse and keyboard input (and various other user controlled events) so if your doing nothing on the machine it can't continue.
    Hi and thanks for your reply.

Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I can't answer your question, but either your information is incomplete or it is wrong.
    You state that the output goes into /dev/sdX, where it should be the /dev that represents the hard disk you want to wipe (be very careful here, and first determine whether this is /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc or so, so you don't wipe the disk that contains your system).

The dd command is dangerous and should be used very carefully.

Topsiho

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Topsiho View Post
    I can't answer your question, but either your information is incomplete or it is wrong.
    You state that the output goes into /dev/sdX, where it should be the /dev that represents the hard disk you want to wipe (be very careful here, and first determine whether this is /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc or so, so you don't wipe the disk that contains your system).

The dd command is dangerous and should be used very carefully.

Topsiho
    Hi and thanks for posting.

Because it is dangerous (which I'm fully aware of), I didn't wish to replace X with the correct drive letter and decided to choose the general "X" instead. I don't want anyone to try that and then everything will disappear.

There is only one drive so I'd assume you know now what I am talking about

Beans
    Hidden!

Hello

You can try :
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=4096

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I think your 3 days have been wasted already - zeroing a 320GB drive should take hours, not days.

If you want to start over and get some feedback from the terminal, I'd suggest using shred. There are ways of getting verbose output from dd I believe, but not straightforwardly, whereas shred has a -v option built in. For a single pass writing zeroes, you could do it this way:

Code:
    sudo shred -vzn 0 /dev/sdX
    Obviously, substitute your actual device for sdX. The Options:

-v - verbose output - you can actually see whether something is happening.
    -z - add a final overwrite with zeros.
    -n - overwrite N times instead of the default (3). If you make this zero, then you get just the one pass with zeroes.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by jeanjd63 View Post
    Hello

You can try :
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=4096

I have always tried 'dd' this way:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX
    And it always worked.

It is just this time, something is odd and wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    I think your 3 days have been wasted already - zeroing a 320GB drive should take hours, not days.

Seriously? oh, this is really bad. I should have asked this 2 days ago
    How can we tell whether it is doing nothing or not? anyway to check without cancelling or stopping it?

If you want to start over and get some feedback from the terminal, I'd suggest using shred. There are ways of getting verbose output from dd I believe, but not straightforwardly, whereas shred has a -v option built in. For a single pass writing zeroes, you could do it this way:

Code:
    sudo shred -vzn 0 /dev/sdX
    Obviously, substitute your actual device for sdX. The Options:

-v - verbose output - you can actually see whether something is happening.
    -z - add a final overwrite with zeros.
    -n - overwrite N times instead of the default (3). If you make this zero, then you get just the one pass with zeroes.
    If that will work 'faster' and 'better' than my way, I'm indeed interested to try this one.

I am sorry, I might be mistaken for not mentioning this but the reason why I am trying 'dd' is there are 1421 bad sectors and that machine is running Windows but it was keep stop working and my neighbour gave it to me to check and I was trying to convert it to Linux but thought to fix the bad sector before.

Yes, I have tried 'dd' with a very very old 4.1 GB HDD which had bad sector and it got fixed with 'dd', the same command that I am trying with this 320GB HDD.

So, what shall I do now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Are you running dd or sudo dd or are you running dd as root? Without root or acting as root (sudo) it won't do anything as root is needed to fully access the drive. A plain user can only access what permissions it was given to which isn't block level writing.
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast