Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having troubles with my new linux server box, mainly along the lines of SSH?

Beans

Having troubles with my new linux server box, mainly along the lines of SSH?

So, I just got a linux server box running Ubuntu 12.04, and I'm using it (along with this tutorial: https://gist.github.com/vemacs/5663144#prerequisites ) to host a minecraft server. It doesn't have a graphics card, so I can only run console based linux.(I also used this tutorial to set up a static IP address: http://draalin.com/setting-up-a-stat...ess-in-ubuntu/ As far as I can tell, it worked). My problem is that randomly, (I can't find a discernible pattern other than that it usually happens when I run the mc server) my server will stop the ssh, pause it, and afterwards I can't connect. I don't know what's wrong, so any advice is appreciated!

Beans

Re: Having troubles with my new linux server box, mainly along the lines of SSH?

How do you get the server back working? Did you have a look at resources to check if the processes have enough memory to run? How often does it happen, when you're not running the mc server, and when you are? Can you post your "dmesg | tail" log when the server dies?
    EDIT: Ah, stupid me, dmesg doesn't help if the server dies
    Last edited by spencer the great; January 19th, 2014 at 06:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Having troubles with my new linux server box, mainly along the lines of SSH?

Also, is there anything in /var/log/ files?

Beans

why do you need to have an ssh tunnel in progress to run the server?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Server Platforms.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Gibson View Post
    why do you need to have an ssh tunnel in progress to run the server?
    They manage it via SSH, so if SSH isn't working, they can't connect to it to do updates and whatnot.

@OP: Could the server be running out of memory? I know minecraft can be a bit of a memory hog.

Check the log files in /var/log if you are able to get console access to see if anything is amiss.
    Last edited by CharlesA; January 17th, 2014 at 06:28 AM.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Ok, I see a lot of posts about running out of memory, but usually at any time the server doesn't go over 20% usage, or at least it doesn't according to the program "mark2" that I'm using to control the server. I can do all of this at the actuall box, but it usually only disconnects me about 30 minutes into running the server, and it won't take any connections in (I.E. I can't get in through minecraft, the ssh console, the sftp client, and if I shake the mouse/type on the keyboard, nothing happens.). I have to turn it on and off again, usually.

Beans

I don't see anything in the /var/log file. I used the following commands to get there:

ssh admin@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    <password>
    cd /var
    nano log
    Last edited by grady2; January 18th, 2014 at 06:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sorry, I meant the files inside the /var/log directory. For example:

Code:
    cd /var/log
    ls
    tail secure
    tail messages
    tail auth.log
    Laptop Ubuntu 14.04; Desktop dual-boot Windows 8.1 and CentOS 6.5

Beans

Ok, here is the contents:

Code:
    admin@OpteronX64-Server:/var/log$ ls
    alternatives.log  dist-upgrade  dpkg.log   mail.err   syslog
    apache2           dmesg         faillog    mail.log   tomcat6
    apt               dmesg.0       fsck       mysql      udev
    auth.log          dmesg.1.gz    installer  mysql.err  ufw.log
    boot              dmesg.2.gz    kern.log   mysql.log  unattended-upgrades
    boot.log          dmesg.3.gz    landscape  news       upstart
    btmp              dmesg.4.gz    lastlog    samba      wtmp
    Last edited by CharlesA; January 24th, 2014 at 12:22 AM. Reason: code tags

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast