Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Pi Thoughts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Raspberry Pi Thoughts

Curious on what you guys think of the Raspberry pi thinking about picking one up to do a file server sort of thing with it attached to a 2TB external harddrive?

Good idea or Dumb Idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Raspberry Pi Thoughts

You might check this topic: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2154216

Upshot is Ubuntu probably won't run on an ARM processor, but Raspian Wheezy (Debian fork) will.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi punkboy22.

It would work and it would be very low power consuming. Make sure the external drive has its own power supply as the Pi won't be providing much power over USB.

There are some limitations though. If you have a gigabit network, the Pi would be your bottle neck because it's only 100Mb/s.

Some people, including me, have experienced different speeds inbound and outbound. Inbound (to the Pi) it's fine, however outbound (from the Pi to another device), it is disappointedly slow: around ~30Mb/s.

Since I'm using it as a HTPC (running raspbian) that's not a problem, but I can imagine that as file server it would have that limitation.

Just my thoughts,
    Regards.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Raspberry Pi Thoughts

I think it has a lot of potential!
    Someone on our forum (see link in sig) has plans for using one with his chickens.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans

My work (an off-campus bookstore) is planning on switching all the computers that the clerks use to Raspberry Pi, because of cost reasons and the need for upgrades. The computers that they're running now are all Windows 98 or XP. Personally, I think they should shoot for higher specs than the Pi offers, but then again, they're cheap.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by corbin.loftis View Post
    My work (an off-campus bookstore) is planning on switching all the computers that the clerks use to Raspberry Pi, because of cost reasons and the need for upgrades. The computers that they're running now are all Windows 98 or XP. Personally, I think they should shoot for higher specs than the Pi offers, but then again, they're cheap.
    Off topic, but I wouldn't run a production/work environment on a RPi. They are great and I have been using one as a media server for about a year, but they are temperamental and never really intended as more than an educational tool, tweaking and experimenting. The enthusiastic Linux community has done the rest and designed new roles for the little tyke.

I wouldn't go there. There are other, more reliable, options which are NOT designed as tweak boxes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There are also cheap and faster solutions for that other than RPi. Raspbery pi is kind of slow for desktop use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...oard_computers

many of them cost only a few $ more than the Pi and are a lot faster.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    There are also cheap and faster solutions for that other than RPi. Raspbery pi is kind of slow for desktop use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...oard_computers

many of them cost only a few $ more than the Pi and are a lot faster.
    The main advantages of the Raspberry Pi are its large developer community, abundance of custom-made shields, and maybe the low cost of the actual unit itself. Otherwise, other similar boards are better, especially if you're going to run a desktop.

I too have heard that the Pi is a bit flaky at times, especially its USB. I've also heard it's not very tolerant of brownouts or low-quality USB chargers. Probably not quite appropriate for a file server.

You might do better with one of the more popular Android media boxes (the ones made to plug into your TV) like a Rikomagic MK802. You can install Ubuntu onto certain models although I haven't tried it myself, and I haven't had any power/USB troubles with my unit. I do use a decent quality USB charger, though (official Apple iPhone charger). The MK802 and later versions/variants have a lot more processing power than the Pi, and are also very small and energy efficient.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

yup plenty of andorid boxes. and they have wuad core CPU and way more ram. but they are a bit more expencive. but they probably can be used as normal desktop. especialyl if one can isntall UButnu ARM image on them
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    they are temperamental and never really intended as more than an educational tool, tweaking and experimenting.
    I have to disagree. I've been using one as an XBMC media player (think Roku) and it's been wonderful. As a matter of fact, if someone gave me a brand new roku player, I would sell it, as I think an XBMC player is better once you add repos and tweak it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast