Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Impossible to install Ubuntu 13.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Impossible to install Ubuntu 13.10

Probably explains it. Did it come preinstalled on the machine? If so, it is an EFI install on an EFI disk with secureboot and fastboot enabled.

You need to boot to Win8 and switch off faststart, get into the BIOS, leave the disk as UEFI, switch off fastboot and secureboot. Boot the Ubuntu install media. If you can now install ...

When you get to the partitioning section of the install, choose 'Something Else' and manually partition. Win8, if it is booting in EFI, will have created an EFI partition. Grub goes there, but as you are installing Ubuntu in EFI mode, it should see that partition and install grub there 'automagically' without you doing anything. (Incidentally, Ubuntu may not label the EFI partition but it should be a small partition somewhere between 100-500mbs.)
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 17th, 2014 at 09:02 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Probably explains it. You never mentioned Win8. Did it come preinstalled on the machine? If so, it is an EFI install on an EFI disk with secureboot and fastboot enabled.

You need to boot to Win8 and switch off faststart, get into the BIOS, leave the disk as UEFI, switch off fastboot and secureboot. Boot the Ubuntu install media. If you can now install ...

When you get to the partitioning section of the install, choose 'Something Else' and manually partition. Win8, if it is booting in EFI, will have created an EFI partition. Grub goes there, but as you are installing Ubuntu in EFI mode, it should see that partition and install grub there 'automagically' without you doing anything. (Incidentally, Ubuntu may not label the EFI partition but it should be a small partition somewhere between 100-500mbs.)
    Hi Bucky Ball,

Back on Post #5 I gave full description. Where I am confused is my motherboard does not have UEFI. So Does this still apply the fastboot and secureboot? I will boot into my BIOS and see if there is any way to turn it off and get back
    Thanks

Beans

Probably explains it. Did it come preinstalled on the machine? If so, it is an EFI install on an EFI disk with secureboot and fastboot enabled.

I just check my BIOS and there is no Faststart or SecureBoot. I don't know what else to do other than pull my c: drive and install another drive to use only for Linux. I still may have the same problem and if I can't get Linux to install I sure can't run it.

Waiting for another idea.

Beans

No, Windows doesn't have priority over BIOS settings... This happens sometitmes, it sounds like you just had a couple of bad burns. When you download the ISO to burn check the MD5 sum (there's plenty of text on how to do this) and be sure to burn your ISO at the LOWESt possible speed if the MD5 is correct.

Also., have you checked to see if the LiveDVD boots in another windows machine?

Also another option that works in other circumstances is 'grub-imageboot' you can d/l with the livedvd and copy to your /etc/grub file and your root file.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chkneater View Post
    No, Windows doesn't have priority over BIOS settings... This happens sometitmes, it sounds like you just had a couple of bad burns. When you download the ISO to burn check the MD5 sum (there's plenty of text on how to do this) and be sure to burn your ISO at the LOWESt possible speed if the MD5 is correct.

Also., have you checked to see if the LiveDVD boots in another windows machine?

Also another option that works in other circumstances is 'grub-imageboot' you can d/l with the livedvd and copy to your /etc/grub file and your root file.
    The burn is good. I have an old MSI-1036 notebook running Windows 7 that the Linux Mint 16 would load and run as LiveDVD. I have just now finished installing it on the HDD.
    My desktop has a MSI 890 fxa gd70 motherboard and I ran MSI Live Update 5 and all drivers are up to date including BIOS. So unless someone has another idea on how to get Linux Mint to run as LiveDVD or to be installed then I guess it has to do with Windows 8.1. Windows 8.1 has a software bug that causes the computer to freeze for no reason and may just restart or you may have to warm boot. This will happen anywhere to several times a day to once a week. I would reinstall Windows 8.0 if it did not take many hours to get all software loaded that I use.

How do you d/L with LiveDVD if I can not get the LiveDVD to load and run? Then I don't understand where to copy /etc/grub file? Does anyone know how to use EasyBCD to set a dual boot and force Linux Mint 16 to load and run?

I was hoping to be able to install Linux on another drive and slowly get it running with all my software then switch to Linux. So it looks like I may have to dual boot windows 8.1 with Windows 7 then install Linux Mint on its own drive with Windows 7.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Just to reiterate. If Win8 is installed in EFI mode, Ubuntu MUST be installed that way for a smooth ride and you MUST choose 'Something Else' at the partitioning section.

If Win is installed in EFI (which Win8 probably is) and you are attempting to install Ubuntu in non-EFI (Legacy) then that's your issue I'd think. The Ubuntu install will NOT see the Windows partitions, or in fact anything that was installed in EFI, and will treat it as an empty drive and use the whole thing, wiping Win in the process.

Beans

Just to reiterate. If Win8 is installed in EFI mode, Ubuntu MUST be installed that way for a smooth ride and you MUST choose 'Something Else' at the partitioning section.

If Win is installed in EFI (which Win8 probably is) and you are attempting to install Ubuntu in non-EFI (Legacy) then that's your issue I'd think. The Ubuntu install will NOT see the Windows partitions, or in fact anything that was installed in EFI, and will treat it as an empty drive and use the whole thing, wiping Win in the process.
    When you use EFI do you mean Extensible Firmware Interface? If so my computer motherboard does not have a choice of UEFI or BIOS. I only have regular BIOS setup no other option. Please explain what you mean by "installed in EFI or non-EFI. What I have tried to explain is my computer will not even allow Linux to start up. Until Linux is started and you get to a screen to where you have a choice of Try or Install Linux has not loaded yet so My computer will not do anything other than give a blank screen.

Beans

Hi all,

I have finally been able to install Ubuntu. I have run gparted from live USB like suggested by Mastablasta and Chkneater to preformat the HD. I have seen a message mentionning a problem with GPT Table. I have answered "no" when asked if it was GPT table. So installation have been possible.
    Thanks again, you've been very helpful.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Please mark as solved by following the instructions in my signature so your thread may continue to help others.

Enjoy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12