Thread: Mumble and TeamSpeak

Beans

Mumble and TeamSpeak

I was recently comparing the latest versions of Mumble and TeamSpeak. I configured both programs very carefully, calibrated everything for my audio hardware. I used the Opus codec set to the highest quality level on both. I completely disabled noise / echo / reduction / cancellation on both, and then I did recordings with both. Despite all the careful settings and configurations, the sound from Mumble sounded much like it was coming through a watery pipe, whereas on TeamSpeak it was nice and clear, perhaps even a little nicer sound quality than Skype. Why the difference?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Mumble and TeamSpeak

They really should sound about the same. I'm guessing Mumble is using a different audio processor than TS3. Maybe you could try the default settings in Mumble and see if there are any differences?

Hope that helps!
    ~Caboose
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss
    "No man has ever seen his dreams fulfilled and regretted the sacrifice necessary to fulfill them" -- Mattie Montgomery

Beans

Re: Mumble and TeamSpeak

I tried it on the default settings, and then I went through the setup wizard and tried it on balanced settings and high quality settings, then I customized it to the highest settings possible and it didn't really make a difference. It really makes me wonder about some of the gameplay videos you see on YouTube, where some guy is on voice chat with his friends playing a game and the audio of everyone is really high quality. For me TeamSpeak sounds better than Mumble, but it doesn't sound as good as the voice chat audio from those videos.