Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FLAC to mono mp3/vorbis

Beans

FLAC to mono mp3/vorbis

I have a situation where I can only listen through one earbud of my mp3 player (Sansa Clip). Obviously, stereo files don't work well for that.

So I have .flac files that I want to re-encode in mono lossy format (preferably vorbis, but mp3 works). I tried ffmpeg (2.2.1) to encode to vorbis mono, but the Clip played them with horrible static sound even though they played fine on my home stereo.

This is the script I'm using (not worried about tags right now).
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

for f in *.flac; do
      # give output correct extension
      #OUTF="${a[@]/%flac/mp3}"

# get the tags
      #ARTIST=$(metaflac "$f" --show-tag=ARTIST | sed s/.*=//g)
      #TITLE=$(metaflac "$f" --show-tag=TITLE | sed s/.*=//g)
      #ALBUM=$(metaflac "$f" --show-tag=ALBUM | sed s/.*=//g)
      flac -c -d "$f" | lame -m m --preset extreme --noreplaygain - "$f"mono.mp3
    done
    I'll update this more when I have time tonight. I just wanted to see if anyone has done something similar.

Beans

Re: FLAC to mono mp3/vorbis

Please show your ffmpeg command and the complete ffmpeg console output.
    Does oggenc also produce static in the Sansa Clip?
    Is your script using lame working as expected?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

sox FLAC to mono mp3/vorbis

or Temüjin you can use this

for mp3

Code:
    for f in *.flac; do sox "$f" -C 192 -c 1 "${f%.flac}.mp3" ;done

-c for channel number -C for bitrate

for ogg [-C here goes 1-10]

Code:
    for f in *.flac; do sox "$f" -C 8 -c 1 "${f%.flac}.ogg" ;done

if not yet installed sox

sudo apt-get install sox libsox-fmt-all

Last edited by shantiq; January 15th, 2014 at 05:56 PM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans

@Outdoorsman: thanks for the idea about oggenc. It was much simpler than ffmpeg because it preserves tags and automatically renames the file.
    Code:
    oggenc --downmix -q 5 file.flac
    I'm going to test the files on my mp3 player tonight. I'll let you know...

@shantiq: I'll keep sox in mind for easier mp3 processing if the oggenc files play static too.

Beans

Re: sox FLAC to mono mp3/vorbis

Oh, and Outdoorsman, I was using a fairly simple ffmpeg command, something like:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i file -c 2 -ac libvorbis file.ogg
    I don't have the exact error it kept spitting out, but for almost every file, it said something like: "stream 0:0 has 100 buffers waiting. Something may be wrong."

Beans

Okay, so I just gave it a quick test and the oggenc files also play with static. I guess my Clip doesn't like mono vorbis files for some reason.. (stereo vorbis plays well).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    @Outdoorsman: thanks for the idea about oggenc. It was much simpler than ffmpeg because it preserves tags and automatically renames the file.
    ffmpeg should preserve metadata (I'm not sure about the fake "ffmpeg" or avconv in the repository).

Okay, so I just gave it a quick test and the oggenc files also play with static. I guess my Clip doesn't like mono vorbis files for some reason.. (stereo vorbis plays well).
    What version of Ubuntu are you using, or more specifically, what version of libvorbis are you using?

Another option would be to create a stereo file but with both channels in uhh... both channels. If that makes sense.

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input -af "pan=stereo:c0<c0+c1:c1<c0+c1" -acodec libvorbis -qscale:a 4 -vcodec copy output.ogg
    Libav does not support the pan audio filter, so you'll have to use a real ffmpeg from FFmpeg (isn't it great that Ubuntu switched?). You can follow a step-by-step guide to compile ffmpeg or simply download a Linux build of ffmpeg. For the lazy/efficient:

Code:
    wget http://ffmpeg.gusari.org/static/32bit/ffmpeg.static.32bit.$(date +"%F").tar.gz
    tar xzvf ffmpeg.static.32bit.$(date +"%F").tar.gz
    ./ffmpeg -i input ...
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; January 15th, 2014 at 07:41 PM.

Beans

I'm actually using Debian sid(uction)
    ffmpeg (not libav) 2.1.2 (from debmultimedia repo)
    libvorbis 1.3.2-1.3
    vorbis-tools 1.4.0

ffmpeg should preserve metadata
    Actually, I guess it did for the .oggs.
    It didn't autocomplete tags for mp3's, but I'll worry about tagging spcriptfu later. I just have the player shuffle through the whole library anyway (it's all upbeat working music and I don't have time to select specific artists/albums while I'm working).

Beans

Attached are a mono and a mixed stereo sample (from a friend's band) from ffmpeg using libvorbis 1.3.3. If the mono works maybe a bug was fixed in libvorbis (but I doubt libvorbis is at fault), but if not then I think it is safe to blame the Sansa Clip.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; January 15th, 2014 at 08:29 PM.

Beans

Thanks for the samples! The clip played your mono file just fine. There have only been a few commits to libvorbis for 1.3.3 and I don't see anything that looks even remotely related to my issue.

I'm thinking it may have something to do with my libflac? Investigation continues...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast