Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 14.** Windows 9 and Gnome Flashback

Beans

Ubuntu 14.** Windows 9 and Gnome Flashback

If current press reports are to be believed, Microsoft has at long last admitted its mistake with Modern UI in Windows 8 and will bring back a version of the Start Menu in Windows 9. If this is proven to be true then this can only be a good thing. Clearly what is correct for a smartphone cannot be optimal on a multi-screen workstation.

Let us hope that this reality is soon realised and accepted by those at Canonical. This forum is full of attempts by various contributors to make a Menu system work correctly on top of Ubuntu. Flashback is the current flavour of the month but is liable to 'crash and burn' at any time because of lack of support from Canonical.

I would suggest that if Canonical were to take on board Flashback (With Compiz), offer it as a standard login option with Unity and fully embrace it in the future Mir development then all of the current negative comments about Unity would disappear. Ubuntu's customers would have a choice!

I am NOT calling for the retention of Metacity or other outdated technology. Merely the full incorporation of a Flashback like menu and top/bottom panel option to sit alongside, and as an alternative to, Unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 14.** Windows 9 and Gnome Flashback

Thread moved to the "Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat" forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

They're all menus.

The so-called traditional menu in old Windows is a text menu. The full-screen icon display in Windows 8 is a menu with big icons attached to the text entries. Ditto the Gnome Shell Overview, Unity, KDE's netbook menu, Cinnamon, Gnome 2/Mate, etc., etc.

Menus are a piece of cake -- easily navigible, fast -- when the number of entries is relatively small. As the number of entries increases, speed and ease of use decline and it becomes increasingly difficult to find something. Compare, for example, using the menus in a typically sparse Gnome 2/Mate install versus using the typical menu system in a KDE install with hundreds of entries.

There's a reason why so many so-called traditional menus have a search bar. It's acknowledgement that trolling through a long series of hierarchical sub-menus isn't always pleasant and useful.

Pretty much everyone has solved the problem of giving users quick access to the tools they use all the time: Lock the icons in a panel, a dock, or some other place. No one, though, has solved the problem of giving users quick access to finding the any of the other apps and tools from the hundreds tools that lurk on their machines. Beyond that, helping users identify the appropriate tool for a task.

So, we still have text menus imitating Win95 and text menus with big icons, and little else.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You want to go back to the old 2 panels (top and bottom) with the fan out apps menu like Ubuntu use to have before Unity (introduced in 11.04)?

That's what originally drove me away from ubuntu and to linux mint (at least that had only one panel and a more convenient slab menu)...i went back to ubuntu when Unity arrived at is a far superior desktop in my opinion...the old 2 panels was a space waster and the fan out menu a pain to go through to find something...so much easier to pin favorites and frequently used apps on the unity dock...

If Ubuntu did that, they wouldn't be coming to their senses...they would be going backward in time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Alan F View Post

I would suggest that if Canonical were to take on board Flashback (With Compiz), offer it as a standard login option with Unity and fully embrace it in the future Mir development then all of the current negative comments about Unity would disappear. Ubuntu's customers would have a choice!

I am NOT calling for the retention of Metacity or other outdated technology. Merely the full incorporation of a Flashback like menu and top/bottom panel option to sit alongside, and as an alternative to, Unity.
    Choice is fine, but it works both ways. It's not correct to assume "Ubuntu's customers would have a choice" if it reverted to Flashback/Compiz. I want the choice of not using Gnome Flashback and not using Compiz .

Compiz is on every Unity install. Unity depends on Compiz. The old Gnome 2 interface is available by installing Mate; works just fine. I would guess more interfaces are available for use on Ubuntu than for any other distribution, so there's plenty of choice out there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

On Trusty Tahr Gnome session flashback (with Compiz) has a serious bug when more than one workspace is set up. We cannot change to other workspaces and clicking a workspace icon will cause the top an bottom panels to disappear. Try it. I have have.

But then you will blame the Ubuntu developers for not working hard enough on this. Any more complaints like this and I will go back to Windows 98!

Be thankful that we get Ubuntu as a gift by the developers, both community developers and Canonical employed developers.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

@grahammechanical: or maybe it will drive you to windows 8

Beans

People keep drawing these comparisons between Unity and the Windows 8 UI, and I just don't see it. Unity may be a radical departure from Gnome2, but it doesn't seem to be that radical of a departure from any traditional desktop metaphor, IMO. You still have a desktop with icons, you have a menu to launch apps from, it still allows multiple windows at once, etc. (FWIW: I'm not a Unity fan or user; I'm not saying it's the best desktop ever, just not that much of a departure from the traditional DE concept). Compare this to Windows 8, with it's weirdo dual-mode design, it's desktop-that-isn't-exactly-a-desktop, etc. If anything, packaging multiple desktop experiences into Unity by default would be a mistake closer to the one Windows 8 makes.

Beans
    Distro

No question about it...unity is very easier and more intuitive to use the windows 8...windows 8 is only nice to use if you install something like the "start 8 menu" which gives you both start button and the start menu (slab menu like windows 7) and takes you into the non-metro interface for your apps...thus giving you a windows 7 style desktop...

I use and very much like Unity myself and i know many others do as well...it is really just a dock...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    People keep drawing these comparisons between Unity and the Windows 8 UI, and I just don't see it.
    Both systems have replaced the traditional alphabetized text main menu with a search-centric interactive menu. More people are bothered by windows 8's tials then by its ability to run metro apps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast