Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu studio software removal?

Beans

Ubuntu studio software removal?

Hi guys; i installed Ubuntu Studio 1310 and i like it and i use it mostly for streaming videos on the web there is lot's of audio and video software that i don't use,can you tell me which software i can remove that will not affect the video codecs
    and keep the software to be able to use the web. thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu studio software removal?

I'd advise against it
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Ubuntu Studio is made up of meta packages.

This result in dependency problems if you try to remove some of the softwares that you don't use.

E.G, a simple removal or Ardour, which you may never use, leads to removal of entire ubuntustudio-audio metapackage. Hence this is not advised

If you want to only stream videos on the web, you can give some other flavor of Ubuntu a try,
    Xubuntu is the first that comes to mind, since it also has Xfce DE, just like Ubuntu Studio. You will get a same interface there.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yes, I would work the other way too, as suggested. Start with something lighter and add what you need. If streaming vid from the web is what you want to do UStudio is like shooting a mosquito with an elephant gun; there's a ton you will never use and trying to get rid of things will be problematic.

Beans

Thanks You all that gave me advice i will fallow your advice thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Yes, I would work the other way too, as suggested. Start with something lighter and add what you need. If streaming vid from the web is what you want to do UStudio is like shooting a mosquito with an elephant gun; there's a ton you will never use and trying to get rid of things will be problematic.
    thanks bro: so you say that i have no advantage with Ubuntu studio 1310 over any of the other Ubuntu flavors when it comes to live video streaming from the web,what about all the video codecs for various players out there.?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

You can install them on any Ubuntu/Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jejeman View Post
    You can install them on any Ubuntu/Linux.
    ^^^
    This.

For example, not a codec, but I installed the low latency kernel last night for audio/visual work. I am running a minimal install of 14.04 with xfce4 as a desktop manager. One of the beauties of Ubuntu is it's highly customisable.

As suggested, you might want to go for a lightweight Xubuntu install and build it up from there (or even a minimal install if you're up to that).

Beans

Thanks guys i ended up installing Xubuntu 13.10 and i have to say that it's running great so far.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

That's because Xubuntu rocks!!!

If you consider this solved please mark it that way from the instructions in my signature and start a new thread for any further issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast